accident whilst training

dazole
This post is 4424 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

a friend of mine had a major accident whilest riding under instruction during a cbt, who is responsible?

the rider was a first time rider and was made to use a geared bike as no scooters where available, they had rode around the car park and had not had to change gear, when leaving the car park to ride out onto the road the accident happened.

should the trainer be responsible for not noticing the rider was not ready? or is it just bad luck that the accident happened?

any advice or whom to contact regarding this would be very greatful thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What was this accident? was it a car driver that T boned him?

When i did my cbt i had to sign a waiver to declare that im resposible for my own actions while on the road.

Were they meant to have an auto/scooter?

Not knowing the details of the accident it would be difficult to give an objective opinion. Based on a minimal set of facts, my opinion is that it does not matter if the bike was geared or not; I doubt your friend would not have changed gear before going on the road and: People need to to be accountable for their own actions. Accidents do happen.

I taught CBT as a volunteer instructor for many years. I was not paid for it and did my best to make sure people were ready to go on the road. All you can do is judge the riders ability prior to road riding. Once out on the road it is down to the rider to ride safely. An instructor will often put themselves in vulnerable positions to "protect" the learner but can not control their bike. There are loads of people riding around today with a CDT certificate signed by me. Without instructors there would be no one learning to ride.

Sorry about your friends major accident but there are too many "no win no fee" people in the world today that cost the rest of us money.

I have to say that it obviously sounds very irresponsible the way you tell it, of the instructor to allow them to go on the road without changing gear. The CBT practice area should be well large enough for a ride to change gear so I have to say i find it hard to believe.

I would also say that it's very hard to make someone ride a bike. Generally as soon as you let go of them they wiggle free and manage to escape. I mean everyone has the choice. If they are taking a CBT then they should have the confidence to say, I havnt ridden and geared bike and dont plan to on the road. I don't want to do it on a geared bike. I had a friend who had the same thing. He got on a geared 125 and wrote it off soon after getting on the road. He should have refused or at least complained.

I hope your friend is ok and it doesnt put him/her off riding but I would suggest they find a different training school and ask for more training before getting on the road. It's a dangerous place out there, especially with all these drivers on their phones, reading books (seen it), smoking, eating, drinking, performing sexual acts (havnt seen it). If they're doing all those things ( not at the same time) then they arnt worried about looking out for bikes at junctions, overtaking, filtering.

He should at least have changed gear in order to reach 30mph while practicing emergency stops.

If scooters are what's required, that's what the school should provide and, if they can't, either reschedule or refund.

The instructor has final say on whether the student is safe enough to take out on the road or not.

But more info is needed on the incident being discussed here.

when i done my cbt the choice was there to do it ether on a 50cc scoot, or on a 50cc geared bike ( i done mine when i was 16, so had to be a 50)

when i phoned to book it they asked if i wanted a bike or scooter, and cos i chose bike they organised it on a day there bike was free. If i had done it on a scooter, then i would have been able to di it sooner - so they should have organised it so there was a scooter free.

As for the disclaimer, i cant remember if i singed one or not saying that any accidents were my responsibilty. But surely cos it was them that insured the bike, if they were injured it would be that policy that you claim personal injury off? ( providing they were the only one involved in the accident)

but i think it should have been the instructors fualt to fail noticing that they werent ready to go on the road. allthough i dont see how they could have done the offroad part of the training without chaning gears :S

as for a refund or that, when i done my cbt i was told that if i did not pass it on the first day, i would get another half day of training for free, then next day - but i guess that would just be to the *descretion* (spelling :S) of the training provider

matthew

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online