Tyres ---------->

This post is 4531 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hellooo,

I'm thinking about getting more of an off roasd tyre on my DT125RE but the specifications standard are,

Front tyre dimensions: 80/90-21

Rear tyre dimensions: 110/80-18

and the ones i'm thinking about getting are,

Front tyre dimensions: 80/100-21

Rear tyre dimensions: 110/100-18

will they fit without them popping off the rim? or is it a big nono - Thanks for reading :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your only changing the profile not the actual size of the tyre, it will affect the gearing and will damage the on road handling but they will fit fine, providing there are no current clearance issues.

An 80/90 tyre is a tyre that has an 80mm tread area and the tyre height is 90% of the width of the tread ie 72mm. Your replacement will be the same width but 80mm tall, 8mm doesent sound much but you will feel it.

The rear will be more, a 88mm high going to 110mm. That will affect performance to the point that it may be worth considering a gearing change to keep the bike lively performance wise. Think of the rear wheel as the last big gear in the transmission and your making it bigger by 20%. Could be worth a tooth off the front to compensate, possibly more when you allow for the extra drag of dirt bias tyres and loss of top speed.

Of course it will affect insurance too, esp if handling can be pointed to as the cause of any incident.

I tried a mitas co2 on mine and it was a 120/90/18 and it rubbed on the crap flap! Also raised the seat height by a noticeable amount.

I found for good off road tyres you couldnt go wrong with the BF Goodrich Crossengos but they seem pretty hard to find now days, the mich ac10 wasnt too bad either for the rear.

For the front i found a mitas ef-08 was my preffered choice but i did do a lot of laning and the tyres meant the bike wasnt great on the road.

Cant go wrong with an ac10. But you really dont want to be riding more than 15% tarmac on these sorts of tyres.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online