Clutch slipping - oil or springs?

michaeldouglas72
This post is 4530 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Aaargh! My clutch is slipping. The handlebar clutch lever is moving freely, the cable is lubed and moving freely, I have just replaced the friction plates and followed Airhead's set-up tips. The clutch operation seems really good but when the 'powerband' snaps in the clutch slips. The only thing I can think of is the clutch springs or the choice oil. The oil is new too. Any help hugely appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Has it got new friction plates in michael?... old ones can be a bit hard and glazed!

as for springs, fit them anyway, they arent expensive

http://www.wemoto.co...ebc_heavy_duty/

I assume you have new oil in there and it was bike specific for wet clutches?

if it were me i''d thoroughly clean around the drain plug, drain into something clean and re-use it after fitting the springs / plates...cant see it slipping with a good clutch

Popped in Putoline Light Gear oil, it says it is specially formulated for wet clutches. Must be the clutch springs, new ones are on order, I'll get them fitted after weekend and give it a go. Almost feeling brave enough for an MOT!

have you bought new EBC plates, my mate paul had hisc RD clutch slipping after fitting new ebc plates, fitted new heavy duty springs , changed oil , still slipping, checked plates they where actuallly thinner than the old ones he took out, put old plates back in no slip , check the part numbers if they are the same numbers as the rd 250/400 , then you can fit xs 400 plates that have more friction area

Have you checked the plain metal plates, they don't need to be out by much to ruin a clutches performance.

Happened to me on my old 350, followed the same route you have turned out to be the plain plates being warped slightly caused by heat due to the slipping of the worn friction plates.

did you soak the plates in oil overnight before fitting.

The cork swells slightly taking up any slack