Complete Newbie - Got my first bike today. Need some help.

thomasrolewis
This post is 4544 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

sellers are often helpful if you ask questions, after all they want to shift stuff!

ask them about the bolt hole centres, the distance from these centres to the end of the plunger when it's pressed in etc etc

you can then check these dimensions against your frame fixings and the tab of the stand that presses the plunger etc

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good to say guys that it worked! Bridged the connections and it went into gear. It now runs at least.

It did take me a while to get it started again, what do you think this could be? To big a gap in the spark plug bit? Or am I just doing it wrong?

What I did, sat on it. Tried to start it, didn't start. Then did the choke, nothing for ages. Spurted (?) once but then I finally got it going. Maybe 5 mins of trying.

The chain is way to loose so I'm going to sort that out tomorrow. And then I need to tackle the electrics - or I might take it too a garage to do that. It needs the left switch and the fronts lights/indicators doing. I'm hoping they wont charge a lot. £50-£70?

A new plug with the right gap setting to start.

Always turn the petrol off at the petcock (petrol switch) when you park. Remember to turn if back on before starting the bike again.

A good clean of the carb.

A new air filter.

New oil and filter.

Practice different starting techniques. choke/no throttle - choke/a little throttle - choke/full throttle to see what the bike likes.

Good to say guys that it worked! Bridged the connections and it went into gear. It now runs at least.

It did take me a while to get it started again, what do you think this could be? To big a gap in the spark plug bit? Or am I just doing it wrong?

What I did, sat on it. Tried to start it, didn't start. Then did the choke, nothing for ages. Spurted (?) once but then I finally got it going. Maybe 5 mins of trying.

The chain is way to loose so I'm going to sort that out tomorrow. And then I need to tackle the electrics - or I might take it too a garage to do that. It needs the left switch and the fronts lights/indicators doing. I'm hoping they wont charge a lot. £50-£70?

at best it could just be your technique...you are new to the bike. Usually full choke and none to very little throttle is what's required

At worst it could be down on compression and would need a compression test to verify...i expect this may be a bit out of reach for you at the moment though...how many miles has she done?

Quite a few, 31000. But the last guy didn't really look after it I don't think. I want to get it working and work on it to learn how to do stuff. Hopefully I can bring her back to her former glory. It's not even money she needs. It's some cleaning, some paint and some new screws.

try putting no more than a teaspoon of motor oil in the spark plug hole (this should temporarily fix any compression issue) then try and start .....you will get a little smoke but it should start up better (if it is the compression) if it starts the same then i reckon your carb needs a good clean

think the next step would be a full service

clean air filter

drop the oil flush and refill with good stuff

new spark plug

strip, clean, and reset carb

possible new brake pads.

I think I'll do all of the above yeah.

I've got to wait for some money to come through before I can replace the oil (and as I have none I can't really do the air filter either.) What type of oil would you suggest? 10W40 - but what brand?

I can however sort the chain out and the carb. How difficult is it to strip, clean and reset the carb? I had a look in the manual but could really tell.

I also need to get the electrics running properly before It is roadworthy, It is relentlessly confusing.

OK, I ordered the Haynes for the bike today so that will tell me. I did the chain and checked the oil today Well tried too, but the window was so dirty I couldn't see.

The bike had some trouble idling today. It's fine for a few minutes but then it starts to idle alot slower and then cuts out. I'm going to leave it until I can take apart the carb and do the oil and air. Oh, when looking at new filters I saw this, which is a newer style airfilter that replaces the airbox. Right? Opinions?

Once I have done the servicing I'll check the idling again and adjust if I need too. Some paint and some new bolts might be in order too!

Yeah, pretty sure I have to do that. So I have to wait. Hopefully cleaning the carb will do some good. I'm still looking to see if the switch on ebay will fit my bike. I have no idea how to find out.

Hey,

Just a quick question. It was suggested that I took the carb apart as part of a service. But my manual and some biker friends have said that unless I know it needs cleaning, don't bother.

So my question is, shall I take it part and clean it anyway? Or shall I do everything else like oil and air first before deciding to take it apart? Personally, I don't mind taking apart and stuff. But it's whether I need too or not.

I'm giving the bike a mega clean this weekend ready to work on it. Before taking the carb out, shall I adjust the fuel mix to try and obtain better revs when idling or just go ahead and clean it?

Thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online