Complete Newbie - Got my first bike today. Need some help.

thomasrolewis
This post is 4544 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Posted this in the New Members forum but re-posted it here as I was advised too!

Hey Guys

Names Tom, got my first ever motorbike today! I wanted something to run around in once I finish my degree. I managed to find an SR125 1993 for £350. Needs some work doing on it such as the front lights. I went to see the bike last Sunday and the guy started it up for me ran fine and everything. However, when it's put into gear it cuts out - he said it was because the electrics are not properly connected (made sense to me BUT is this true?).

So anyway, got it home today and it didn't start. It's pretty cold so I thought it could be because I wasn't using the choke. So, I pulled the choke out (and held it as it snaps back on the SR125) ignition on and pressed the starter with a few revs. Nothing. I really don't know much, but I saw that the neutral flashing a bit and it sounded like the battery might be on the flat side - in fact, I'm pretty sure it is as it's struggling to turn over at the moment. Would this cause the spark plug not to spark? And thus, not allow the engine to start?

From what people have said and I've gathered I need to charge the battery and change the fuel. Once I've done that I might be in a better position to troubleshoot.

I'm more concerned about the cutting out when put into gear. I hope I haven't been ripped off.

Edited by drewpy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

do you have the side stand out when you put it in gear? check the connections and clean if needed then try again. iv got no experience with your model but all side stand switches cut the engine when it gets put into gear (with the stand out).

you might be able to bypass it to check if you need a new one (thats if it dont work when you pull the stand up). have a look at the switch ......normaly it gets turned on when the stand is out (but dont hold me to this)........so by rights if you disconnect the switch (follow the cable and pull the plug) then it should go into gear (but dont ride with the side stand out!!!! or with the switch disconnected) its a safety device so if faulty should be replaced with a new one asap!

if this dont help then it could be an electrical problem but as i said before iv got no experiance with your model of bike.

Once I get it started again I will try that. I'm sure the stand was up, but I'll pull the plug and see. That's once I've figured out the electrics. The guy who had it before had no idea, currently there are no headlights and the right indicator comes on when you signal left haha.

could be that the clutch has stuck a bit and it needs freeing off.

I'd get the battery sorted and engine going, then bump start in 2nd and pull in clutch and brake at the same time. this should free it.

I had a look today and cannot even see a wire for the sideswitch, yet there is looks like there is something unplugged under the battery. I will post pictures tomorrow, the battery is currently on charge so I'll be able to try again then.

If the guy unplugged all the electrics, it would make sense for the sideswitch to be the cause of the problem. Thanks for the help guys I'll update soon!

The clutch does feel a bit funny, I think the leaver needs sorting out a bit. It moves through the gears well enough though.

However, I'm pretty sure that the stand switch is missing or unplugged/hidden - I'm guessing having that missing would be the same as having the stand down. I mean, electrically - if there is nothing plugged in then the circuit is broken; which, in principle, is the same as the stand being down right?

Does that make sense? :question:

There is one on ebay, its a 1999 model one though. Mines a 1993 model, do you think it will take 1999 parts? I'll double check in the morning and try and find the switch. If not I'll scour ebay for one closer to my bike age.

There is one on ebay, its a 1999 model one though. Mines a 1993 model, do you think it will take 1999 parts? I'll double check in the morning and try and find the switch. If not I'll scour ebay for one closer to my bike age.

without the benefit of part numbers i couldnt answer that

OK, so it doesn't have a stand sensor attached. It looks like I'll be needing one of them. Still cannot get the thing started. It turns over fine and almost started before (at least it sounded like it.)

Going to get some fresh petrol now to see if it could be that. If not, what's next? Spark plug? Fuel lines?

The first thing to do now is to see if you have fuel and a spark.

Try and start the bike. Choke on, no throttle. If it does not start take out the plug. Is it wet with fuel?

If yes then you need to check the spark

If no then you may have a fuel blockage.

Next try for a spark regardless of the state f the plug. With the plug out reconnect it to the coil HT cap. Get a set of grips and holding it gently on the while porcelain part of the plug, hold the metal part of the plug against the cylinder head. With the plug touching the engine, try and start the bike. Does the plug spark? What colour is the spark?

If you get a fat blue spark then you need to check your fuel and carb. If you get a yellow weak spark then clean the coil connection, earths and make sure that the plug cap is attached to the lead tightly and not damaged. If you get no spark then you need to trace where the power stops.

So first question to answer are; have I got a good spark and a wet fuel. Use fresh fuel.

Let us know the results of the plug test and then we can move on and eliminate some possible problems.

Well after putting in some fresh fuel I tried to start it to no anvil. I was about to come in and see what to do next when I thought "Just one more try, I'll listen to the starter relay and see if it sounds right. (I read some other topics on starting problems). Well anyway, sat on the thing - choke out for a bit and then got off and put my ear to it. When I pressed the starter button it roared to life. What a bloody relief.

I'm guessing it was the fuel and the choke. Thanks for the advice guys, I feel so much better with it starting.

I double checked what switches were plugged in and stuff (using the manual you provided DirtyDT). The clutch switch is plugged in but the there is defiantly not a side stand switch plugged in, nor is it actually on the bike. I found where it is meant to be though, which is good.

I pulled it out of the garage and tried to get it going on the drive and it just cut out as I put it in first. I'm guessing it's the stand switch because it's missing. I'm looking at this stand switch on ebay and wondering whether it will fit my bike. Without the old switch I can't get the part number!

Thanks again guys :D

right im only suggesting this to see if it is the switch or not (so please dont ride without a switch),

can you find the cable that runs to the switch? if you find it, have a look at the connector it should be 2 weirs (i think), if you get a bit of old wire and bridge the 2 weirs in the connector then this should effectively act like the switch. try it out and see if it will go into gear without the engine stopping. if nothing changes then it could be another problem . other than the lack of a switch.

Well done on getting it running.

Different clutch and sidestand switches do different things on different bikes. If there is no switch for the sidestand you can bypass this in the short term. The sidestand plug should have 2 terminals with 2 wires; Blue/yellow and Blue/black. the The switch provides a "connection/not connected" to these wires so if it is not plugged in then it will be permanently not connected.

To bypass it you can just connect these two wires together. I would get a short piece of wire and connect these two terminals. This will have one of 2 effects. Either the bike won't start as it needs the stand circuit to be open (stand up) to start it or it should not cut out when put into gear. I would not mess about with the plug at this stage. Just run a wire between these terminals in the plug.

Or as above in Pauls post.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online