Hello, newbie here - please advise me.

This post is 4551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys

Names Tom, got my first ever motorbike today! I wanted something to run around in once I finish my degree. I managed to find an SR125 1993 for £350. Needs some work doing on it such as the front lights. I went to see the bike last Sunday and the guy started it up for me ran fine and everything. However, when it's put into gear it cuts out - he said it was because the electrics are not properly connected (made sense to me BUT is this true?).

So anyway, got it home today and it didn't start. It's pretty cold so I thought it could be because I wasn't using the choke. So, I pulled the choke out (and held it as it snaps back on the SR125) ignition on and pressed the starter with a few revs. Nothing. I really don't know much, but I saw that the neutral flashing a bit and it sounded like the battery might be on the flat side. Would this cause the spark plug not to spark? And thus, not allow the engine to start?

Also, I found the petrol switch set to Reserve (I can here that there is petrol in it though). I then set it to ON, but it also has OFF. Could someone tell me about that and what it's meant to be set too.

Any help/advice would be great. I'm completely new to this but would like to learn.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Tom, Wecome to the YOC, lots of guys and girls on here with 125s so they might be able to help out, Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling the guy who showed you it running might give you a few tips on why it won't start so first give him a call and ask what you might be doing wrong, sometimes bikes will only start if you do things in a certain order, make sure it's not in gear when you turn it over and make sure there is FRESH petrol in it. Other than that do your next post in the "WORKSHOP" section, look to the left side of the front page on the site and about 3/4 of the way down, as this section is really only for new members to say Hi and you might not get anyone else to give advice if your not in the right place with your query. Good luck mate hope you get it sorted always a bugger when you have not owned a bike before and it plays up as you only know how to fix it after you've floundered around for a while finding out a hundred different things you never knew existed before. People on here are always willing to help out a new guy just let everyone know your a complete novice and don't have a clue where to start. Oh and DO NOT charge your bike battery with a CAR charger it will cook it, you need a bike battery charger, ebay does them for about 8 quid. :jossun:

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.

Several issues here.

Starter/Battery - When you push the starter how quickly does the bike turn over? I would charge the battery as one of the first steps.

Fuel - How long has the fuel been in the bike?

Spark plug - Have you changed it?

Fuel tap has 3 settings. 1 on - this is the normal setting for running the bike. 2 off - This is to stop any fuel getting through to the carb. 3 Res - When you run out of fuel with the tap in the "on" position, you turn the tap to "res" and this gives you a little extra fuel to get you to the next petrol station. Always remember to turn it back to "on" once you have filled up.

Have you ridden a bike before??

Hi DirtyDT

I have ridden a bike a few times yeah but never owned one. I decided to get one (a little battered) so that I could learn about it and make minor repairs myself.

Starter/battery - It turns over a bit slower than I think it meant to, I checked youtube and it is slower than

Fuel - I'm not certain, but it has been off the road 2 weeks so I'm guessing at least that long.

Plug - No, because I saw it start I wasn't too worried. However, I will now (with the help of my manual - because I don't know how yet :D )

I have only got it home a few hours ago so I havent had a chance to do anything to it really. I'll charge the battery first though.

Thanks about the fuel tap, I'll make sure it's on. And I'll put in some fresh petrol. Do I syphon the old stuff out? Or just top her up?