New Member very confused

This post is 4417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i'm Tom,

i'm 24 and live in the Yeovil and in the forces,

I joined the forum to get some more information and other more experienced riders view on what to do as im very confused.

I want a bike and i always have, but as i have always had classic minis i never had to money or time to get a bike but now as the mini are sold i have money to cover the costs of owning a bike but that is where i'm stuck.

I was dead set on doing my DAS over my leave but i took a step back and looked at different things like what happens if i spend $500+ and i dont actullary like riding a bike, i think its alot of money to fork out at the moment, so i was looking at just doing my theory and my CBT and buying a YZF-R125 as im only spending 130 to get on the road and this gives me up to 2 years to think about if i want to do my Test, in which i would look into doing a few lessons and then module 1 and 2 with this i see it costing around the same as doing DAS but really spread over 2 years and with the 2 years hopefully have more confidence on the bike so i can easily progress to a bigger bike. Im just wondering what peoples views are and if this is the right way to go about things.

Also i'm looking at buying a second hand YZF-R125 for my commute to work its 35miles one way on A and B roads i did look at getting an Aprilia RS125 but with the 2 stroke and getting the bike warm i dont think it is for me so just some more thoughts from people with R125 is this the correct bike to go for, im not bothered about riding as fast as possible i just want to enjoy the ride to work as the car is getting boring

cheers Tom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Take your CBT and see how you get on and what you think of biking. Then go from there.

hi mate,

if your looking for a commuter bike id head for a four stroke, a lot more reliable than a two stroke and secondly chances are an aprilia has been ragged by some kid racing his mate in a 1 litre fiesta.

the yzf is a lovely bike and nippy enough to pick up a bit of speed and perfect to get used to if your looking to move onto the bigger bikes, to be fair the r6 isnt too much bigger!

Hi Tom, welcome to the YOC, been riding bikes since I was 14 and now nearly 60, still love it but roads are much busier and cars much much faster then back in the day, 125s are neat little bikes and have a surprising turn of speed plus A & B roads are ideal for this type of bike, it's fun to ride a bike but there are down sides the weather being one of them, make sure you have a descent set of wet weather gear and if poss something warm to go under it, you will look like the michellin man but being warm and dry makes the whole experience much better, a crash hat should be the best you can afford as you only get one head & banging your nut on the ground when you fall off is bloody painful with the wrong type of helmet. Do your CBT and go from there I'm sure you will enjoy your time on your new toy. :jossun:

Hi Tom Welcome to the Forum!!

I too am from Yeovil so if you ever want a chat and cuppa your more than welcome! i done my CBT 1st as i wasn't too sure on bikes as well but after a year i done my DAS test and ive never regretted it! Word of warning tho......the laws are changing soon and i think they are going the way of you doing your CBT then followed by another three or four test after that to get your full bike license which mean you parting with more of your dosh.

Question tho........being ex forces my self wont the forces your in not pay you to do your test ect? i know when i was in Bovvy they where paying for the lads to take their car test and that and paid for my Tank driving license so y not ask about n see if they will pay for your CBT? always worth a question aint it?

Any who give me a shout if you wanna meet up.

Regards

Noise AKA Keith

cheers for the replies everyone i have my theory tomorrow hopefully shouldn't be a problem as the wife is a driving instructor and has been hassling me.

i think im going to do down the route on the R125 on a CBT for 2 years and see about the law change as i would have to do both to do my DAS at what ever point i choose.

hi Noise AKA Keith as for the corps paying my bike licences its all stopped as dispatch riders have been stopped we all asked when we so at leconfields doing our C CE and everyone said no but i can get military discount from the guy in yeovil for all bike tests so its better than nothing.

+1 for doing CBT and learning on a 125.

It's a bitch at times, but it teaches you valuable experience-only skills that DAS alone just cannot manage!

O right thats a bit of a shitter then aint it!? who are you doing you CBT with then? either way mate hope you get on ok with it!

Word of warning tho......the laws are changing soon and i think they are going the way of you doing your CBT then followed by another three or four test after that to get your full bike license which mean you parting with more of your dosh.

+1 i agree, do your cbt first and get the 125 to see if you think bikes are for you . . i would suggest doing it asap and if you enjoy it - check aroudn to see how long you have to wait before the local bike training people could do a test, i would suggest doing it before they change them in jan 2013 - you could allways just pass your test and keep the 125, and the test is never goign to run out of date :)

well i passed my theory today some very weird questions on it very different from my car and C cat. got my CBT booked in with AEP Motorcycle Training on the 28th and now just in the process of getting helmet ect and looking for a bike, seen a few around the 2 grand mark with mileage ranging for 6k to 19k so not to sure and with prices nearly the same from a private and dealer, i will probably go to a dealer for the warranty and some haggling hopefully

cheers Tom

So the 500quid DAS test is too dear but your going to chuck 2 grand at a bike from a dealer?

i was going to put 2 grand on a bike anyway but i will be on the road for £131 instead of £500 and in a year have a lesson and pay the 2 module charges, in my situation this is better way for me to do it.

cheer Tom

AEP are fantastic!!

Spirit done my DAS and CBT! you will most likely ride past my house down on St Johns road so your prob see me wave and shout at Spirit or John who ever you get to do your CBT lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online