how to remove xt 250 swinging arm bolt

reevesie
This post is 4556 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

im restoring a 1982 xt 250 and cant seem to get the swinging arm bolt out could anyone give me an idea on how to free it off

many thanks

justin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it wont shift after soaking with some penetrating fluid then worst case may be to grind the bugger out.

Any pics at all.

TTB

hi thanks got no pics at the min, think its best to strip everything off her and then get some heat on it c if that budges it if not if i grind it out, could i still get the swinging arm bearings out

thanks

sometimes its best to place a stout tube over the head of the bolt (big enough for the bolt to pass through it) and rest this against a solid wall...then all your hammer blow will be effective on the bolt and will not be wasted in flexing the frame.

Having said that though...1982....you'll be lucky

but it worked for me years ago

failing that, hacksaw (ask cynic)

hi i need to remove swing arm to remove the engine as the exhaust pins are snapped and the frame needs powder coating i can c some plastic sticking out

thanks

thanks ive messaged someone hopefully the right person i dont mind buyin a new bolt and some new bushes if they can be removed

Okey pokey,

Not very scientific i'm afraid. Inbetween the nylon bushes is a steel one that siezes to the spindle if neglected. Then the crud fills the gaps up further along and jams the whole lot up. Any pressure just locks it up.

What i did was to cut through the spindle at the point where the nylon top hat bushes are visible. It takes time and patience i'm afraid but you should be able to saw right through on both sides. Inbetween the frame and spindle.

Then once its out you can clamp it nice and tight and drive the remains of the spindle out with surprisingly little abuse, probably nothing more than a few stout taps with a drift as when your trying to drive the spindle out in the bike the top hat bush on the opposite side is hard against the frame and just as jammed up with rusty crud as the rest of it. Locking it as effectively as if it were bolted up.

It may be possible to hit it hard enough to get it out but that much force will knacker the spindle anyway. I certainly felt it was better to sacrifice the spindle than risk damaging the frame.

thanks people ile give it a go when ive got a spare 5 mins

I had to cut the bolt out of the TS frame recently. It is tough going but the best method if it is seized. Price up the parts as the replacement bearings and bolt on mine came to about £100. Frame turned upside down and strapped to a bike stand. Check what clearances you have and what sized hacksaw you can use. Buy lots of blades because they snap a lot.

SAM_0079.sized.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online