1977 Yamaha rsx100 - Kickstart lever issue

NikUk
This post is 4370 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First post, first motorbike.

Having ridden peds for about 8 years, I decided to up my game in preparation for doing my full test in a year or two. I bought a good condition yamaha rsx100 which a friend of mine who knows more about mechanics than me checked over. It seems to be in great condition, both mechanically and body wise.

However, the one issue it did have was the kickstart lever. The ring of the lever has worn down and thus needs replacing. Being a complete noob. I bought a kickstart lever for an rxs100, believing the parts to be interchangeable. I appear to be wrong.

The lever arrived, different shape, and the connector ring is too large to fit the kickstart motor connector.... thingy.

So i put out a call to a few scrap yards, got a response. Yes we have a kick start lever for the rs100. (I'm told rs100 and rsx100 are definitely interchangeable.

This one arrived, but was exactly the same as the one i had bought before, the rxs one.

So now I am utterly confused. When I called the scrap yard, i was told that they had definitely pulled it of an rs.

I'm now wondering whether there may be a possibility the kickstart motor connector thingy may have been replaced in the past. Or some such.

I have a picture, the longer one on the paper is original, and the two that I bought next to it. Does anyone who owns my model have any idea what may be going on, or at least is it possible to confirm that the longer original one is for an rs? If not, then at least I know where I may be going wrong.

photoriw.jpg

Many thanks for any help in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had an RXS100 when they first came out and would say that the one on the paper is not the right one. It looks very much like a Honda one. As DirtyDT say's are you sure it hasn't got a different engine in it .Can you put up a picture of the engine and a picture of the kickstart shaft. Can you confirm the year as the RXS100 didn't come out till around the mid 80s or have you got an earlier model RS100 ?

Tony

The rs kicker was straight, and the rxs was curved.

Thanks guys. I think I have come to the crux of the problem. I managed to look up the kick start on the parts manual, and the straight one is indeed what I need.

The confusion comes from the model names. RSX and RS seem to be in one corner, while the RXS stands in the other.

Mine is definitely the RSX100 model, so now, all that is left is to locate and buy the correct kickstart. (Oh and to flog the two wrong ones I ordered :P )

Cheers

I'm intregued by the rxs, rsx reference, are you in the uk?

Hey Cynic, yeah I am in the UK.

RSX100's older brother was the RS100, another cracking little stroker though not quite as quaick as the RSX. Or so I am told.

Both seem to be no relation to the RXS.

Still no joy finding a kick start for my bike as yet. Can't wait to ride it.

:)

Not sure performance wise, as i remember ( quiet at the back) the RS was the quicker due to it being born before the hp limits.

Just found an old copy of Mechanics magazine from December 1983 when they tested the RXS100 saying that it had a claimed power output of 12bhp which was what the restricted 125's were limited to. Tested top speed was 73.07mph prone and 67.31 upright with a standing start 1/4 mile of 19.1s @ 63.1mph. Average fuel consumption 65.8mpg. The only things that let it down were the lights as it only had 6 volt electrics and the drum brakes front and rear.

Think its an RX-S spelt wrong :biglaugha:

I do believe the masses require a pic or 3 to solve the issue...

I'm not at home right now so cant put pics of my bike up.

Googling rsx100 definately brings up lots of listing such as http://www.bikepics.com/yamaha/rsx100/

Also, searching Haines,

Haynes Yamaha RS/RSX100 & 125 Singles Manual

www.shopwiki.co.uk › AccessoriesBags

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

ShopWiki has 33 results for Haynes Yamaha RS/RSX100 & 125 Singles Manual, including Chinese 125 Motorcycles Service and Repair Manual (Haynes ...

It looks like the RS/RSX100 may be the same bike, possibly just a year thing?

I'll chuck pics of my bike up when I can. There's a small pic on my new members post.

Cheers :)

• 3 months later...

Hey Nik,

Could you please tell me where you found the kickstart for your RS100?

I just bought a 1978 RS100 without the kickstart, I searched for a long time on the internet, but can't find any kickstart for my RS100, only one in the Phillipenes.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Rik (Belgium)

Hey Nik,

Could you please tell me where you found the kickstart for your RS100?

I just bought a 1978 RS100 without the kickstart, I searched for a long time on the internet, but can't find any kickstart for my RS100, only one in the Phillipenes.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Rik (Belgium)

Dont hold your breath Rik, he hasnt been back since this !

Ah too bad.

Well, then I will search further, but not on the internet, can't find anything.

I wonder why there is so less to find concerning the rs100. Only 2 project by someone else to find, and some things about crankseal failure and this item.

Even no clubs or website which are only about the rs100:).

Any reason for this ?

Or do you know where to look? Think that this forum is the best one around!:)

Anorher hard thing is the differne between all rs100's.

Anyone to tell me what de 'dx' stands for behind 'rs100'

(at the moderator; should i open a topic on these question, or are they fine here?)

Kind regards,

Rik