Burt - My first bike

Elffie
This post is 4558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is Burt http://www.flickr.com/photos/77448159@N06/, hes my first bike

He's a tad poorly and have every intention of trying to get him better, hmmm lol

Have a Haynes manual, thought it was English version but looks double dutch to me :eusa_think:

So this is how he looks today, and hopefully he will look better soon......and actually run :razz:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: Ellfie

you'll pick it up as you go along, just ask on here if you get stuck and we'll reply with some sarkey comment :)

Say hello to Bert from me.

Just ask away. I have a PDF of the proper workshop manual for the '97 ones that I can supply a link for if you need it.

:Dthanks all

Dirty that would be great if ye don't mind, all i got with the bike was the V5 and a key...and Im sure a snigger but that will be back on him when I take it back running lol :crazy:

EDIT~ Hes a '92, Im guessing the '97 will be a lot different ?

Have taken off the battery last night, charged it and put it back on, I have power ! woot 1 problem done lol

Fitted a new brake lever as the other one was snapped off.....

Took the crappy mirror off and binned it ... Need to order some nice ones

I have looked at the oil view hole and don't see any oil there, probably not a good sign....

Theres hardly any IF any fuel in the tank so I need to drain that ? and put fresh in...

Im a complete div to be doing this probably but Ill have a go, I can always sling it on Ebay if I lose the plot :shakeno:

SR125 '97 manual in PDF here

SR125 '99 supliment in PDF here

I will keep them there for a while so let me know when you have down loaded them. Any problems, let me know.

Good luck.

So put some fuel in him after draining the egg cupful of old stuff out

Put some oil in him, still cant see the level so not sure if the inner side of the window is filthy ! but i know he has at least a litre in him

Tried starting him, turning but not catching (for want of a better way of say it)

Ran to my local garage and picked his brains :babyha:

He gave me a spark plug and told me how to check for spark, didnt work so thought stuff it ill try again. Put lead back on and he fired up,BUT stupid me hadnt turned the fuel tap on and he died .... BUT HES ALIVE!! (ish)

So the battery is a tad flat again, so Ive got that back on charge, not paying out for a new one till i know he is worth it

So rest of the afternoon I shall be cleaning him and will try again tomorrow with the battery !

just pleased hes alive, and hopefully healthy then we can start getting him looking lush :spin2:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Elffie and welcome. :)

Let us know how it goes starting it up again once you've charged the battery. Sounds like you're doing pretty well on your own to be honest!

You might want to check a few things, probably obvious ones, but stuff like air filter, carbs, etc. just in case the reason why it was a "non runner" is because of anything down the air system. Sounds like fuel, oil, electrics and engine are all fine. You've got compression because it it fired. The only other thing to check will be gears, further down the line.

Have you looked to make sure everything is straight? Checked for bent frame, bent forks, misaligned front and back wheels, etc.?

If that's all good I think you will quite likely have the last laugh on this one. Even better if you got it for a bargain. ;)

Edit: Just thought of something else; is there any oil leakage, particularly around the top of the engine? Just in case the gasket has gone to engine component heaven.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online