XVS1300 O2 sensor eliminator

Bulldog2
This post is 4228 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

With Alchemy out of business and the man in Greece not having any of these in stock, does anyone know where they can be obtained? I know they can be made up but not where the parts, especially the connectors, can be obtained. I am getting fed up with the lugging and need to do something about it.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Be glad you didn't get from Alchamy as your wallet would have been raped.

You need to speak to Jack (user name = K5TGJ) at http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=vstar1300&nav=start if you PM him he may have some available

The instructions are here:

http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760698/Jack%27s%20O2%20Mod

[edit: grey haired git beat me to the link]

The man in Greece appears to have these O2 sensor eliminators back in stock on EBay Item 260961310339

Let's hope they work.

Bob

I bought my o2 sensor from the guy in Greece last year, I think it was about £14. I wasn't too sure if it would work but for £14 it was worth a try, it arrived within 5 days, took 10 mins to fit and the difference in the performance and slow running was very noticable. I think you will be pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. just received my o2 eliminator fron greece via ebay, 2 mins to fit, has made a big difference at low revs, much smoother.

jerry

That's what I've found. Sadly it can't give us another gear between 1 and 3 which this bike sorely needs!

the bike really is a dream to ride, i was a bit wary about buying a bike as large as this but no fear at all.

but why is it so high geared, can't ride in 5th gear at any under 45 absolute min, but i find i am changing down under 50, this might change when the bike is properly loosened up as only done 60 miles !! crap weather here in south wales for last 2 weeks. do you find on the overrun there is some whining, don't think it is the gearbox, and can't tell but think as i put the miles on it is becoming not so apparent, not sure if it coming from the air intake !?

but you are right what the bike needs is a lower first gear added ie 6 speed so first becomes second etc.

cheers

jerry

that last post should have upped the font size.

so here it is again

the bike really is a dream to ride, i was a bit wary about buying a bike as large as this but no fear at all.

but why is it so high geared, can't ride in 5th gear at any under 45 absolute min, but i find i am changing down under 50, this might change when the bike is properly loosened up as only done 60 miles !! crap weather here in south wales for last 2 weeks. do you find on the overrun there is some whining, don't think it is the gearbox, and can't tell but think as i put the miles on it is becoming not so apparent, not sure if it coming from the air intake !?

but you are right what the bike needs is a lower first gear added ie 6 speed so first becomes second etc.

cheers

jerry

I've found gear ranges are roughly:

1st = 15-20mph

2nd = 20-35/40

3rd = 35/40-50

4th = 50-65

5th = 65+

The gearing is a bit high particularly in the twisties where I find I'm constantly switching between 2nd & 3rd. I heard a new ECU really smoothes out the lower gears but they are expensive...

Yep I have the same whine. I don't know where it's coming from but as it's a new bike I am hoping that it reduces or at least when the first service is done, that the Yam mech tells me that it's normal.

ive had my 1300 from new (3 years old in june, 9000 miles)...and for a big twin it isnt torquey at all, dont kid yourself it'll loosen up because mine hasnt...the first biggest pain for me is it wont hold 3rd gear at 30mph, it 'lugs' badly, cobra speedster shorts and the cobra fuel processor helped, but its still difficult to hold it at 30 in 3rd, it doesnt like it.

I ride 30's in 2nd gear, and 40's in 3rd gear, into 4th at 50, and over 55-60 for top, very similar to clarkegray (graham).

The second biggest pain for me, is turning typically left into a side street in suburbia, on every other bike ive ever owned that would be a 2nd gear turn, but on this it 'lugs' badly again, comiing out of the turn and accelerating up the side street... and i have to slightly slip the clutch to keep the motor sweet, you could obviously change down into first but that'sd just ridiculous, the gearing leaves a lot to be desired.

As for the whine you describe...have you checked the drive belt is running true ?, and isn't too tight...?

...oh, and one last thing, the rubbish rear tyre size, not a lot of choice out there as others on this forum have found, ive now got a dunlop D206 radial in the back as i simply could NOT get a bias belted rear tyre anywhere at that time, my next rear will be a 180 bias belted Avon, the 170 rear tyre is a bit of an 'oddball' size from my experiences

ok we all are in agreement it's too high geared, i'm new to 2 wheels so please bear with me, what's the options (chance) of fitting a slighty larger (1 tooth) driven toothed gear to the rear wheel, i realise a slightly larger drive belt ''may'' be required, any thoughst very welcome

i can, and will live it as is, as i do love this bike and it gets lots of attention, but would go for a lower ratio if there was a way

cheers

jerry

Jerry, i think were stuck with the gearing mate... i cant imagine there are any sprockets other than standard in existence (hope someone can prove me wrong), but then there is the potential problem of belt tension afterwards. I also enjoy my bike...but i cannot understand why this gearing was 'signed off' by the manufacturer...presumably test riders must have complained ?...dont tell me it was only tested on tracks ...?, and also why it was 'signed off' with 'that clunk' in the front forks ...???

i've already decided my next cruiser will be a triumph thunderbird....the rear tyre farce last year did it for me...

midnight.

i called yamaha motorcycles uk today and asked about the high gearing, he said quote, they are made for the states where they sell ''shed'' loads and the bike is geared for long straight roads, never ever had a single comment re high gearing either, he was polite and pleasant, no plans in the pipeline for new models to have lower gearing, i have traded in a triumph for this bike, i did like the parallel twin, but just doesn't have the streed cred, if you go for the thunderbird have a look at the storm 1700cc, twin headlamps, nice looking bike, i am not giving up on this bike but already have been looking and reading up on meanstreaks and the large VN's, my first new cruiser was vn 900, good bike, was riding with a friend today with c800 suzy , petrol guage and gear indicator, nice bike but the suzy1800 front end is gross, whatever i get its got to be a big v twin, no rush, all suggestions welcome, meanwhile i like my bike and the +'s outweigh the -'s for now.

jerry

Just leave it in 2nd, 0-70mph in one gear ;)

Whilst I agree the gearing CAN be a pain it's never bothered me enough to want to change, I've just learned to change my riding style slightly and not shift up when it sounds like it wants to. There are plenty of riders in the US who use these bikes in the twisties too. Unfortunately the 1300 is a big cruiser for the UK market as most tend to ride the sub-1000cc cruisers so they're never going to be much support from Yammy re changing the gearing etc...

As for Midnight's tyre experience, whilst it was absolutely pants, the 950 uses the same rear tyre and hopefully this means the tyre situation will never be repeated (hence Avon saying they're making a 170/70-16 tyre which should be available in April).

jerry, if/when i go for a trumpet it will be the 1700 storm in gloss black, not for a while though, 2 more years on this i think, dont think i dont like this bike i do...its great value and you can ride around the gearing, ive just mentioned all the negatives...these are more than outweighed by the positives

i did 100 miles yesterday, and road as clark said, basically one gear less than my other bikes, i agree lots of positives and so easy to ride, corners well very forgiving for a big bike, but somehow i don't think it will be my last, and if i do change it won't be for a smaller one, i love these big v twins, i ride with a mate with a VN 1500, super looking bike it's 14 yrs old and you'd think it had just come out of the showroom. Maybe a VN 2000 now there's a thought !!

cheers

jerry