Yamaha RS200 help needed

donbaloone
This post is 4406 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi to all. I have Yamaha RS200 1982 and I have some problems with carbouretor. I have managed to start it few times but it runs for a econds and than stops I think its carb problem . When I inject some petrol directly into carb it fires up but than dies after few seconds, when it runs it runs on high revs only.Anyone have any idea ?does anyone knowes where I can buy carb repair kits for this model and if one from RD200 will fit RS200 as carbs look the same but RD has two of them?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

An intro in the new members section would have been good

but anyway, I doubt a carb kit for a RD will be any good, Have you stripped and cleaned the carb? sounds to me like the pilot maybe blocked, and possibly the emulsion tube as well, as over at http://www.aircooledrdclub.org.uk/ there maybe someone that knows the differences between the 2 , ask in the other 2 strokes or under 200cc section there after introducing yourself in the new members section

As mervin wrote theres probably problem with jets as I checked and flushed tank already and fuel gets to carb easly but than it doesnt go further. I tried to inject some fuel into carb directly and it fired up. I also already tried carb cleaner and carb is spotless I also blowned air through jets and they seem fine but you never know with jets ,small dust might block it.Does anyone know where to get jets or have pictures of said carb or any manual for RS200 as I only have RD200 manual it's good for everything else exept carb.

its not that hard to examine jets for blockages, just hold them up to the light and use a magnifying glass if necessary.

in the past i have see filter gauzes actually in the carb feed pipe spigot, so thats worth checking also.

if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the bowl, take it off and see if fuel pours out there when you switch on the tap

Theres a strong possibility that all you need is new crank seals though, as you said it runs on high revs for a short while, this is typical behaviour from a worn seal magneto side.

You have picked a difficult subject with the RS200, no haynes manual, no parts list to be found either :eusa_think:

Managed to start it properly today so now that I know that it runs fine I can start striping it for restoration. Thank you guys proper cleaning did the trick. It has been standing with fuel inside from 1987.

• 1 month later...