Dt125/175MX

PICTURE_MAN36
This post is 4635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am in the process of restoring an '83 DT125MX. I've changed the barrel, and have fitted 175 barrel. The next process is to send the frame off to be powder coated etc..

My wheels are OK. The chrome will clean up, but the spokes for both front and rear are gash, and to do a mint restoration, both wheels need to be rebuilt with stainless spokes which is something I will admit is beyond the scope of my capabilities. This brings me to the next question.

I won't use bike off road, and therefore will be looking to fit road biased trail tyres anyway (I guess find enduro style tyres for a 21 inch wheel is a no no), however I have been thinking recently about fitting Enduro style road tyres instead of trail based knobblies. Without having to resort to too much engineering, could I fit 18 inch mag wheels from say an early TZR125? and get road biased tyres to bargain?

Has anyone done this mod before?

I am also in the process of colating parts for a DT125LC Mk2 which I intend to start to renovate this year, and would consider the same mod if it was easy to do... (I seem to think that Yam did a TDR and this came with mag wheels? )

The MX has been jacked up at the rear, and when I get around to rebuilding the front forks, will also have the spacers in the front fork legs to jack the front up.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You would be better off fitting an 18 inch rim to your original hub. No messing with anything else. The speedo would be out due to the difference in size. You cant jack up the front with spacers, you would need longer forks. This brings in the question of getting a complete from end off a supermoto and changing this.

Just a few thoughts to start you off.remember;

Fork height for geometry

Fork width for yolk size and steering lock

Speedo fitting and ratio

type of brake cable v hydraulic

Thanks Airhead... this looks likes the best option. I didn't realise they did road tyres for 21 inch wheels.

I've not owned a trials bike for a while, however I do remember that it did not handle well in the wet.

Will put these on my DT175MX 1st as it should be finished 1st. If they work, I'll get a set for the 125 also.

Thank you

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online