Cam chain

Sammyt80
This post is 4554 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My t80 has got a ratterly cam chain I adjusted and then 2 days later it's slack again the engines only 12,400 miles and don't think it needs changing.

Some body told the adjuster screw could need replacing and then give the adjuster spring a slight stretch to sort, does this sound right

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It sounds like it is backing itself off. Many cam chain adjusters tend to do this, especially if they are automatic (rely on a spring). I don't know what type yours is and a good clean and new spring may cure it. You don't want to chain jumping the sprocket as that will make a mess.

4.jpg

LINKY to parts

Got a new adjuster screw and going to stretch the spring abit and see if that helps tomorrow,

It's semi auto adjusting meaning I have remove part number 13 and turn the engine over twice then replace the screw and the spring takes the slack up.

I would check 8, 9 and 10. The drawing isn't clear but it looks like 10 is the main spring and 8 needs to slide, sometimes with a slight screw. It also looks like 13 just tensions no 8. It could be a combo. I might be talking rubbish here by the way.

I will have a look tomorrow, just going to change the screw it could of worn down and not hold the adjuster in place and stretch the spring and also valve clearance, just got the proper tool kit through with every thing needed to do that including feeler gauge and rocker adjuster holder, really hand little tool kit.

I could be talking rubbish as well but see what happens tomorrow

Good luck.

It is just that 13 looks at right angles to the guide (7) so I can't see how it can tension it against the chain.

From memory I don't think you have to remove number 13 totally to adjust. Seem to remember to adjust cam chain you remove LH engine cover, turn engine over to set piston to TDC on the compresson stroke (with both valves closed). Undo and remove domed nut #16, just loosen nut #15 and loosen screw #13.This lets the spring #10 take up any slack in the camchain. Retighten screw #13 to lock it against #8 to maintain tension in camchain, retighten locknut #15 and replace domed nut #16.

Tony

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online