DT 125 RE - Best way to remove rust?

Keiran95
This post is 4654 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has any good methods on how to remove rust from my exhaust, the previous owner seems to have ignored it and its got quite bad, not to the point its falling apart bit its not good, Its a Full arrow exhaust any help is a massive help,

Thanks for your time,

Keiran

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It depends how you define "rust". Surface rust can be rubbed down with some scotchbrite pads (look on evilbay) and then the exhaust painted with a high temperature black paint from a rattle can. If you are talking holes, then some people get a patch of metal welded over these but it looks very messy. The good news is that you can still get new pipes for these (I think). Have a look here LINKY, too late for Christmas but....................

as above a scotchbrite pad is good for light rust, a wire wheel (bench or drill mounted) a scraper for loose flakes, fine emery cloth for tricky nooks and crannies. Jenolite rust remover...for finishing Plastikote BBQ Paint available from Wilkinsons stores and B&Q

Theses are are methods I would use but most importantly...keep it clean and clean off the crud regularly after wet riding conditions and remove and paint again when it starts to show signs of rust...dont ignore it exhausts are expensive!

Thanks guys, there isn't any holes it just surface rust, i have given it a little bit of elbow grease with some fine sand papers and it seems to have come up alot better but its still there and takes a long time

I think i have seen a wire wheels in the garage somewhere so ill have a look around, thanks for you help, muchly appriciated and have a good christmas

Keiran

Mind and wear goggle Kieran" when using a wire=wheel,,,, :icon_cool: as wires can leave at speed and penetrate the eye,,, :shakeno:

what are you referring to?

Scotchbrite OG.

I have just looked on Evilbay and all i can find is ''unltra fine'' or ''fine'' is this going to be rough enough?

It depends how rusty the exhaust is. Use Jenolite as OG said and then scotchbrite fine. The rust doesn't have t all come off.

Mind and wear goggle Kieran" when using a wire=wheel,,,, :icon_cool: as wires can leave at speed and penetrate the eye,,, :shakeno:

Good point. Gloves as well if you feel the need.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online