SR125 battery install woes...

RubySR
This post is 4539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Today I've tried to install a new battery into my SR125 but am stuck. I took the old battery out, which was a small 4 amp battery. Went to put in the new battery (YB7L- B) and it slots in but I can't get to the negative terminal to attach the cable. I can get the positive cable on fine but the negative cable is too short to connect to the battery BEFORE slotting in to the battery bay. I can't get to the negative cable/terminal from the left hand side as there is very little access (second pic). Is there such a thing as a battery cable extension? Below are some pics as it's kind of difficult to explain the problem. Any help gratefully received :)

th_IMAG0344.jpg

th_IMAG0343.jpg

th_IMAG0342.jpg

th_IMAG0341.jpg

th_IMAG0340.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks DirtyDT, looking at the manual it appears that despite me ordering the battery as spec'd in the manua (an example)l:

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=2102

The terminals are not the correct way around, they should look like the terminals on this battery:

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=2076

Can I turn the terminals on the battery, or is it better/safer to just buy a new battery with the terminals the right way around?

cant you unplug a bullet connector on the neg cable, then fit it to the battery...install the battery...then plug the bullet back in?

just guessing because cannot see the bike

No bullet connector, just a single ring connector going onto the battery. Could I make up a little extension using a bit of wire and 2 ring connectors? Bolt one end of extention to the battery, position battery, then connect other end of extension to the ring connector on the ground cable? If so, what gauge cable do I need?

Also, do you know where the ground connects to the frame, I can't seem to trace it.

No bullet connector, just a single ring connector going onto the battery. Could I make up a little extension using a bit of wire and 2 ring connectors? Yes you could

Bolt one end of extention to the battery, position battery, then connect other end of extension to the ring connector on the ground cable? If so, what gauge cable do I need? 1.5 should do

Also, do you know where the ground connects to the frame, I can't seem to trace it.no but it might be behind the ignition coil mount

Just found these: http://item.mobilewe...3188&cmd=VIDESC

These should convert my terminals to side screw as required (hopefully) :)

so thats it then problem solved?

Yep, all sorted! Adapters came today, 2 mins to fit and 5 mins to get the new battery in and connectd. Makes a lot of difference having an 8 amp battery in there instead of 4 amp :)

• 3 months later...

I'm a newbie on this Club site today. Bought SR125 at the weekend and it needs new battery - bought battery but same problem as you, terminals face wrong way and how the hell do you connect the -ive lead it's so short and gap too small once in. Got adapters but can't figure out how to use them - sorry I'm a girlie - could you tell me how to fit adapters and how you managed to only take 5 mins to connect battery. I got a 12N7-3B battery that was recommended and apparently the new version which replaces the original battery. Dont' suppose you have any pics of how the adapters fit? Cheers.