Thundercat clutch change and shims check - which oil?

piemuncher
This post is 4672 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Looking to change my clutch and check the shims on the thundercat this weekend...

Is this the correct oil? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YZF600-R-THUNDERCAT-CASTROL-POWER1-OIL-AND-FILTER-KIT-/300574124316?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item45fb9d291c#ht_2017wt_1396 I've read a load of bad bits about putting the wrong oil in causing the wet clutch to slip? I really don't want that because its one of those things that just does my head in......

Also, I assume with the clutch removal the oil in the clutch chamber will come out, I'm going to buy new oil to replace it. When doing the shims, I assume I'm going to drain a few ml of oil out of the engine but no more? The oil comes in 4l tubs and the engine takes 3.5 so I'll just top it up so that's not a massive worry.

Oh and one more question, tyre pressure in the manual are listed at 32psi and 36psi - What weight rider would this be? I only ask as the bike rides like poo when I have them at those pressures but I brought them up to 36 42 (versus 36 41 in the book) for carrying a pillion and when riding by myself it felt perfect! I way 105kg (about 16.5 stone) so wondered if a chunk such as myself would count as 2 people... Embarrassing I know...

Looking forward to your answers to my oh so basic questions!

Pie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A good thread on oil here I prefer Rock Oil. Please do not use car oil.

Tyre pressures are never going to be accurate even if you use a good quality pressure gauge. As soon as you take off the gauge, the air escapes. I run my bike with slightly higher pressures as it seems to handle better. Forums are full of questions such as "What tyres" and "What pressures". I prefer to make my own mind up and these are sooooooooo subjective.

That oil should be fine as it has JASO MA in the spec which means it is suitable for bike wet clutches. You shouldn't really loose any oil when doing the valve shims but you will when you do the clutch plates so best to drain the old oil out, do the plates then replace the oil.

Tony

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online