YICS tool

slice
This post is 4424 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All, Just a quick question, I need a YICS tool for the XJ and havng seen the price for a proper one on fleabay (F*****G HELL) and such I have decided to make my own but was wondering if anyone had made one or had one spare that I could borrow for a short time, if not then I have downloaded the drawings from the net and was just going to ask if I made 1 would anyone else like one as well at cost price, it's only a few bits of copper pipe some nuts washers and rubber pipe after all and provided the dimensions are correct I can see no reason why it can't be made. If you have any comments or suggestions (this is where you put your rude comments and totally irrelavent suggestions in) then please feel free to bung them in, if your interested in one of these then please PM me and I will get back to you with some sort of time frame and a rough price (shouldn't be much after all) I'm in the UK but have no problem if your not ( US- AUS etc) just get back to me and we can sort something out. I have 2 drawings that I downloaded that seem pretty comprehensive but if you have a better picture / description then send it along, Thanks all. Martin. :jossun:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 7 months later...

I've got a couple of issuess regarding blanking of the YICS while balancing carbs, any advice much appreciated ;

1. I read somewhere that at a pinch, you might be able to use a 10cm wooden dowel, cut to the appropriate length, as a temporary blanking tool. I realise that it might get quite hot, but then the same goes for the rubber seals on a more sophisticated device.

2. Some owners suggest that they get better performance if the YICS port is permanently blanked, on the basis that it was only ever implemented to meet stringent US emission regulations.

Many thanks.

Hi Poirot, Just saw your message so sorry if this is a bit late in getting to you, the only reason I can see that a wooden dowel might be a problem is that if left to long in situ it might become porous and flake off into your ports otherwise it might work for a short tune up. the rubbers on the YICS tool are of the non perish high heat type and as such are not unduely affected by being in contact with the hot inlet. I have left my YICS tool in situ since I tuned the carbs (about 8 months ago) and since then have had no probs with fuel consumption in fact it seems to be doing better mileage than before getting 65 to 70 per gal at about 70 plus MPH which is much much better than originally. Hope some of this helps and good luck with your home made wooden dowel thingy, let me know if it works if you would, just one thing, the dowel will have to be a really tight fit to block the fuel off so watch out for wood shavings in your fuel/jets as you put it in cos I suspect that trying to tune it with sawdust in the way might make it a bit difficult. LOL! :jossun:

Thanks for your response. I figure I'm going to go ahead and try using a piece of close fitting dowel as a temporary blanking tool. I'll leave it in there for the absolute minimum amount of time while I synch the carbs. At worst it might get a little charred. I've built myself a 4-channel manometer using some bits and pieces I picked-up on eBay, and I've rigged-up an old drink bottle as a temporary fuel tank, so we're all sytems go. I'll let you know how it works out.

The debate for and against long-term YICS blanking seems to be about equally balanced. Sure is hard to fathom !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online