R6 vs FZ6S

Smitty
This post is 6180 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm looking at getting the FZ6S untill i saw the R6. It looks nicer and seems 'sportier' but it's an extra $3500(Aus).

I'm wondering whats the real difference between these two 600's? and if it's worth putting up the extra bit of cash for it?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

From what I know (which certainly isn't everything ;) ), The R6 has much sharper handling, a bit stronger top end performance...but the ergo's on the FZ6 are far more tolerable in an everyday situation.

I guess it really depends on what you intend to use the bike for......whether it be a trackday tool or commuting duties. :)

I commute on my R6 everyday even in the snow, I bought it new last May and already done 10,000 miles on it, and have found it to be comfortable apart from on one long journey of almost 200 miles non stop with 2 very heavy chains in a ruck sack.

Before the R6 I had a Thundercat, which was a little comfier because the legs weren't bought up by the pegs but between the 2 I'd definately go for the R6. As it gives a little more excitment and looks sharper. The new Fazer . . FXZ6 call it what you may, is good but allegedly isn't as good as the one it replaced.

The new Fazer . .  FXZ6 call it what you may, is good but allegedly isn't as good as the one it replaced.

That's what I've heard & read.......a bit more clunky in the gearbox dept. :unsure:

BTW....Hats off to ya B) .....always cool to hear of another fellow Yam owner riding daily through ANY type of condition.....like myself ;)

I too, rack up around 12k a year on my bike.

Hi Smitty,

I've had my FZ6 since May 2004 and have done nearly 27K miles already! There's an awful lot of tripe posted about the FZ6, largely from owners/affissionardos of the old carbed Fazer who are stuck in the past and hate the idea of change. Have you had a ride on one yet? If yes, you'll know what I'm talking about, if no then try both and decide for yourself rather than listening to its detractors.

All I can tell you is that I love it and would buy another one tomorrow (except I have no need to - other than they're now available in black :D). It does 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, will comfortably top 140mph and you can ride it all day and still get off grinning. I use mine for a mixture of commuting and weekend ride-outs and am off to France for the weekend later this year.

The R6 is drop-dead gorgeous, but for commuting I prefer the upright riding position of the FZ6 and the wide bars which make filtering a doddle. The brakes are more than adequate - UK's Ride magazine tested an '04 against a new (presumably pre-registered?) FZS and the braking performance from 100 to 0 was almost identical because the new bike has far superior suspension and doesn't dive under braking. The handling through twisties is amazing too.

Whichever one you end up getting I'm sure you won't regret it - good luck eitherway B)

Have you had a ride on one yet?

Nope, it will be my first bike and i'll be getting my licence just after i get my bike.

140mph
=225kmph, dam!

I'm looking @ the 05 model so i need a bit of extra money be4 i go buy it without a loan. THis year comes in blue black and silver. Still deciding about blue and silver.

I'm still looken round @ the Suz SV650S & Kaw Z750. All hondas seem more expensive.

I just read that "Not surprisingly, the FZ6, with its R6 motor, would leave a Suzuki SV650 for dead in a drag race".

I'm gonna head out to some stores to go look at these other brands and see what they offer. The yamaha is winning so far but i dont want to cloud my judgment. But if i do buy it (good chance of that) my decisionw ill feel better cause i didn't jump @ the first thing i saw.

I'm a big fan of the side bars for the pilon, gf's gotta go on the back and will be easier for her to hold on. The others are 650 and 750 (might be to much for first bike) but that dosn't botther me. I want to stick with a relaiable brand and yam has a good rep.

I prefer the upright riding position of the FZ6 and the wide bars

I read a review of the bike last night:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/fz6first/

The bolt-upright body position puts a lot of weight on your rear, and butt-burn sets in after about 80 miles.

I'd much rather have a sore bum rather than a back. I'll be doing quite alot of comuting and going for rides for the hell of it. Seems the more logical choice.

Thanks for the insite from an owner debz.

All this talk about comfort what's the matter with you, are you a bunch of girls? ;)

I commuted for 9 years on my ZXR400! :o

Anyway Smitty, my advice? Go with your heart not with your head and you'll always be happy with whatever you buy :D

As prev mentioned I've got a 2004 R6, I commute with a collegue who has a Fazer and I can get through gaps he can't, which really pisses him off.

Yes the R6 does ache the wrists when you first get it if your coming from something less sporty that is. But it doesn't take long (a month) before you're used to it.

Although I read in one review, that unless you've 10,000 miles under your belt don't buy an R6, so if your fairly new to it all stick with the Fazer.

As for the SV650, it's a totaly different league to either of the R6 or Fazer. A mate of mine has an SV650, he bought it as his first bike but his experience grew out of it too quickly. In standard set up it ain't that quick, doesn't look nearly as pleasing as either of the other 2, the suspension is soggy, and it's a V twin which I think have far too much engine breaking, espec for commuting in low gears. but that's all IMHO and in the end they're all good bikes so go with what will make you most happy !! Remember it's SMILE not SPEED. (just a pity that SPEED gives so much SMILE then)

From reading the reviews i have seems i can't go wrong with the FZ,

Width:

FZ = 750mm

R6 = 688mm

that unless you've 10,000 miles under
Definatly under the 10 since it's my first bike.

As for the SV650, it's a totaly different league to either of the R6 or Fazer
Very interesting, i always wonderd about the quality of the bike when i read a review that the FZ would leave the SV for dead.

are you a bunch of girls?
U never know on the internet these days mate.

Remember it's SMILE not SPEED
I wont be smiling if i get a ticket lol.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online