Pabz88
This post is 4539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey all, gots a question.

theres a rumour going around on the internet saying that i can put a wider tire

(Size 200/70-B15) straight on my xvs 650 custom WITHOUT making any modifcations

to the bike.

has anyone tried this OR know if this will work at all.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Personally i would ask someone that has tried this, because on bikes putting a larger tyre/tyres on them can have a negative effect on the handling, most bikes are pretty well setup to their standard tyres, 1 size up may not make much difference though

It might need wider rims I guess, custom harleys often use wider cool looking tires, but the friction can increase so does the fuel consumption, however the bike will have more balance?? Ive seen guys here doing modifictions on XVs with wider tires...may be they can help..

I know in the U.S. many many people go up one size on the XVS1300, from a 170-70-16 tyre to a 180-70-16 & all riders who do say it offers much better performance. One tyre manufacturer, Metzeler, even list their 180 tyre as a "Stage 1 upgrade" meaning it is recommended for use on stock rims... (Heck, some over there ever use car tyres at 200 wide on the stock rim).

However, (and there's always a 'however') Metzeler UK say they cannot recommend their 180 tyre in the UK due to different regulations and actively advise against it. Someone else queried whether this would have implications with their insurance & their insurance company stated they'd have to re-quote and the indication was they might not be able to offer cover... but this is something you'd have to check out yourself

A smaller fender gives the impression of a bigger wheel of all else fails.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online