Sorting out DT 125 ignition.

Ollie1995
This post is 4526 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I got a woodruff key today, so I think the alternator is all sorted. I tried wiring up one of the CDI's I have but I can't get a spark, is it possible to wire it up without going through the ignition/ kill switch or does it need bypassing some way? So basically I've got four wires from the CDI, two that go to the alternator and an orange one that goes to the ignition coil. What should I do with the remaining wire that would normally go to the main switch on the handlebars, should i be able to get a spark without this last wire? Of course the CDI might be knackered, can these be tested in any way? As I have a couple of them and I don't know if its this that;s not working or something else. the ignition coil looks new to me. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ollie.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I found it at an auto jumble today in an old crank. Sorry about the different topic i just thought it was a different subject.

What colour is the wire? What year of bike?

On the older bikes the kill switch is just an earth so rather than earth through the spark plug it earths to the frame.

The black and white wire goes to the kill switch from the CDI in the newer bikes, maybe same in yours? also if you have a black and yellow wire on the CDI? that goes to the power valve servo, which will make it a CDI for later models.

It definitely doesn't have a power vale servo, the cdi I have is a small box with black + red, black, black+ white and orange.

No I know it doesn't have a p/v servo, just trying to establish what colour wires on your CDI, as on mine theres orange,= coil, black = earth on frame, black/white = kill switch,

black/yellow = power valve servo, blue/yellow = side stand switch, double male block connector with 2 wires light blue & blue = light blue to oil level sender unit, blue goes to clocks and instrument panel

black/white should not be touching anything. It earths the bike and should kill the engine.

ORANGE - COIL, BLACK - EARTH, BLACK/WHITE - LOOSE (FOR THE TIME BEING) BLACK/RED - POWER

Check the earths and where have you connected the Black/red to?

The black wire (earth) should have a double connector and connect to the generator and the frame.

AHH I missed this!! Thanks very much!

Wtf is the orange wire coming out the CDI connecting to a Black wire (earth) or is it a cock up typo? surely it should be an Orange wire all the way to the coil? or do I need to put me bins on?

I noticed that too Nev. It doesnt make any difference really and in the sealed CDI the orange is, as you know, a good guess for the coil. Also if the sealed coil had a black lead, then I guess orange=black. OK when the bikes were new but when 20 people have cut the ar5e out of the wiring, pretty difficult to guess and we all know what a standard black wire SHOULD do!!

Thanks DirtyDT I tried today what you said and I got a spark, it was the split to earth that I was missing. The spark doesn't really seem as strong as it is from the magnetos on my old British bikes but I've never worked on Japs before so I cant tell if it's normal or not.

Put some fuel in it and see what happens. Don't forget to make sure the 2 stroke oil is in it and the oil pump has been bled.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online