'79 DT175MX.... Let the fun begin!!

Ventura
This post is 3927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

better than new v :thumb:

she's shaping up to be a really nice example :spin2:

I had a look at those spikey things. Did you use pop rivets to attach them?

I was a bit worried that it'd crack the edge of the plastic pan when riveting them on. In the end it was the roughty-toughty staple gun sorted it!

you just fit washers over the pop rivet ends when you're riveting through soft materials :thumb:

Seat8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

After a couple of weeks away from the bikes (unfortunately having to work for a living :)) the DT project is slowly progressing again.

The barrel and head have been aqua blasted to good effect and the bore taken out to +1mm and honed.

Nice job..........

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

So, my question now to those who've been here before, which black paint am I going to use for the barrel/head?

I've trawled the forums for advice and it seems that PJ1 satin or Plasti-coat BBQ paint is the preferred choice of many.

Any advice or comment on this would be greatly appreciated, then I can make a start!!

The wheels should be rebuilt this week so am keen to get them back on and get the frame rolling again.

Need some room in my shed to get started on the engine tear-down!

More to follow!................

V.

I'm a big fan of the Black BBQ plasti-cote spray myself, never used it on an engine mind, only exhausts. The barrels come up lovely, seems a shame to have to spray over it.

, not that we spill petrol or owt

With DT175 "s needing refueled at roadside" on most runs , :eusa_snooty: ,, it is advisable , :bad-boy:

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Ive had a look on-line and it seems there's a world shortage of PJ1 satin at the moment!

But the Plasti-Kote BBQ is freely available (even B&Q has it) so I'll give that a go I think.

Today Ive been doing a bit more cleaning of various bits and pieces.

And found a very good, labour saving, method of getting the black plastics pretty spotless.

Brought the airbox up a treat!!............

IMG_1216.jpg

(NB... This method should only be used when the missus is out of the house for at least a couple of hours!! :) )

There may be dire consequences otherwise!

V.

Well now!

Working on the premise that Im already in the dog-house for using the dish washer for bike bits :eusa_doh: , I thought I might as well go the whole hog!!.............

IMG_1251.jpg

The DT is rolling again!! :hyper:

Got the wheels sorted and back on (albeit very loosely for now) and freed up some room in my shed so I can do a bit of sorting in there.

Once I've tidied up I can then start on the engine.

And maybe while the bike is in the lounge I can sort out the wiring loom in warm comfort!!

NB.... If this turns out to be my last ever post then you'll know what happened when she came home from work!!

V.

So...................

Its looking more like a bike again now.

Got all the wiring done, headlight and clocks back on. Just waiting to fit the original bars and back light unit.

Oh, and the engine of course!! :)

1eeaba28.jpg

Getting there!!...........

V.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope your still with us ventura

Nice bike mate I am in the same process with the same bike at the mo. Got mine on the road the other day for its first run and blew the piston/rings or summut but I have the pleasure of my wife being away this weekend so my bike is coming into the warm of my living room to strip the barrel hopefully not the engine. Then sorted before the return if I am caught any tips?

Geo

Then sorted before the return if I am caught any tips?

Geo

Just say it was already there when she left and that she agreed on you doing it before she left go all Darron brown on her lol

Back on topic......the bike is coming on great! keep it up

Hope your still with us ventura

I'm still here Geo....... Just!! :)

She's calmed down a bit now, but unfortunately it may kick off again later today as I'm bringing my next project home later!

I'm entered into a Honda C90 8-hour endurance race early next year, so bought the bike to start race-modding it!

Something tells me that TWO bikes in the lounge won't go down too well!!

.......if I am caught any tips?

Geo

My best advice would be to be out when she gets home!! :)

V.

Yep thats the plan

Dont try to escape on the c90 though yer might get caught.

That sounds like a bloody good laugh I had 1 and ran it on a trials course for a while great bikes certainly better than most of the scooters on the road.

Well, the DT has had another burst of attention this week.

Apart from the engine its almost complete now.............

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

And yes, its still in the house!!

The engine work continued in earnest today.

Got it split and cleaned, with the casings off to the aqua-blaster man..............

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

I just hope I can remember how it all goes back together again!! :)

V.

Ey Up Ventura

Thought ide let you know went to me mates last thur just after i sent the post. He took me to his workshop to show his new pride and joy a 1976 c70 obviously not the speed demon that you have but a smart bike all workin complete with original tool kit. Funny old world perhaps you guys are on the edge of the next big thing.

The wiring into your magneto do have any photos ? I need to replace some if not all the wires any advice?

Cheers

Geo

• Like 1

Thanks Paul and Geo for your positive words.

.......he took me to his workshop to show his new pride and joy a 1976 c70 obviously not the speed demon that you have but a smart bike all workin complete with original tool kit.

Funny old world perhaps you guys are on the edge of the next big thing..........

The C90 is a great little bike and has a great following, and fantastic fun to ride too!

Believe it or not I spent most of today fitting a Yoshimura exhaust, pod filter and uprated rear suspension to it!! :)

Have also welded a bung in the exhaust to fit an A/F gauge I have for setting up the jetting.

Just need some sticky race tyres now and Im good to go!!

The wiring into your magneto do have any photos ?

Here ya go Geo............

a0c6f319.jpg

Also took the crankshaft in today to have a nice shiny con-rod kit fitted.

For anyone in the Liverpool area, Grampian do this (and the rebore/honing) while you wait.

The crank was a ten minute job, £62 all in...................

e412d1e3.jpg

Casings are at the aqua blasters now and should pick them up tomorrow.

Then let the rebuild begin!! :)

V.

Thanx ventura

That be a great help "Let the dog see the rabbit " now I can

Cheers again and good luck with the rebuild

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online