Sidecar fitted.

awa355
This post is 4572 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a sidecar being fitted to a cruiser?

I reckon the XVS650 would loan itself quite well to a sidecar. Low gearing, engine torque at the right end of the revs, heavy enough in the frame to handle the forces of the additional loading.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the most recent side-car combinations i have seen have been on cruisers. I assume companies like watsonian-squire (if they still exist) will fit to anything, as long as the cheque is blank enough.

Never ridden a combination, but my uncle always used to tell me that the set-up he had in 60s was a totally different experience to riding a solo motorcycle.

Seen a couple that people have cobbled together themselves.

Most bikes will handle a sidecar outfit, so long as you ride it properly. The handling is VERY different and many put either a secondary or a linked brake system onto the nearside car wheel.

It's also great fun to go blasting around a bumpy rally field in. Alas, I wasn't allowed to put an MG42 on the front and blast around shouting in German about Indiana Jones!!

There was a cruiser parked in Aldi's car park in Market Harborough recently with a sidecar, think it was a Susuki 800. And then later in the day a load of cruiers came through some solo, some with chairs and a couple of the big boys with trailers.

When you take your motorcycle license in Denmark it's mandatory to try driving a sidecar on a track. It was a horrible, horrible experience! Can't imagine why anyone would seek out that kind of handling. :eusa_think:

(first post btw, just joined - picking up my Dragstar 650 this week!)

A new sidecar in NZ will set you back about $3-3500nz before fitting. Expensive in relation to the average wage. A local chap imports and sells Ural sidecar units. I have to admit, they look the part. Especially in the military colours.

I would imagine the wear on the front tyre would be horrendous, with the added forces under load.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online