Newbie with DT175MX..... Treat me gently!!

Ventura
This post is 4616 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all!

Having just rejoined the ranks of DT ownership thought I'd sign up here and let myself be known.

Thought it best that way before I start annoying all by posting numerous silly questions to the resident experts here!!

Briefly, about me..... started my biking in the '70's, firstly with a very beat up old NSU Quickly then the more conventional route of FS1-E, RD250 and my first DT, a brand new white '79 250MX.

I took delivery of that beauty still in the crate and built it up myself at home. Not something which would be allowed these days!

Years have gone by and never without at least one bike in the garage. Laterly a couple of Virago's (when my knee wouldnt bend very well after an accident!) and then a crackin' Japanese imported XJR1300, followed by a couple of Ducati Monsters.

Present harem is two modern day Triumph Bonnevilles (Scrambler and Thruxton) a '71 BSA 650 Thunderbolt and (as of yesterday) a 1979 DT175MX.

All seemingly bog-standard original and fully roadworthy. Just in need of some TLC..................

DT175.jpg

So, after a few runs around the block to prove all is OK, the strip-down starts today!

Im planning a ground-up restore to its full former glory and (hopefully) with it being such a good base to start from, shouldnt be too much of a problem (says he!!).

Well, thats my (not so brief after all!) intro over. Stand by for the dumb questions now!!

Any advice from our resident experts here would be most gratefully accepted.

Let the fun begin!!

Cheers.

V.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome Ventura.

Fantastic intro with some great bikes mentioned. The DT does look standard so good luck.

You may want to consider starting a thread in the projects section for the build.

Hi, and welcome to the forum Ventura, a cracking intro mate, a good example for all newbies who decide to join our forum, looking forward to seeing your renovation/ restoration,in the projects thread.

Many thanks for the warm welcome chaps!

Well, I've been busy today. The photo above is from yesterday when I brought the bike home.

Got the tools out today and this is how it looks now!!..............

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Must be the easiest strip-down Ive ever done.

Nothing at all bent, dented, siezed, rounded or stripped!

I recon this bike must have always been garaged and never been left out in the elements.

Every original screw, nut, bolt and lock-washer was in place just as it left the factory.

The only thing Ive found so far that needs renewing is the side-stand, seat cover and the exhaust.

All to be expected I suppose and everything else, including engine, seems in A1 condition! :)

So I recon I'll do as I'm told and post a few findings and photos on the 'Projects' thread........

Good to be here guys. Lets see how it all pans out!!

Lookin' forward to it !!

Cheers!

V.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online