2 Wheels in Scotland

2 Wheels
This post is 4641 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Not manys pics for ye sorry,,,,,,,,sur ya cant be stopping every 5 mins ta get the camera out ! 1118 miles in 4 days.

Leaving Larne

CameraPhoneScotland025.jpg

Leaving Larne

CameraPhoneScotland026.jpg

The Larne coast-line

CameraPhoneScotland027.jpg

Hanging over side of ferry

CameraPhoneScotland028.jpg

Met up with Blackhat and Blacktiger in Doune village

CameraPhoneScotland029.jpg

Again

CameraPhoneScotland031.jpg

Few more ta come,,,,,only lets few pics per post !!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Again

CameraPhoneScotland030.jpg

Cloudy but dry road through the highland mountains

CameraPhoneScotland032.jpg

Stopped for a bit of a chat,,,,,,think they were looking for Whiskey ta warm us up !

CameraPhoneScotland033.jpg

Some of da mountains,,,there huge in reall life,,,,i took this pic while on the move !!! not recomended

CameraPhoneScotland034.jpg

A fuel stop, coffey and a bite ta eat

CameraPhoneScotland036.jpg

Darkness falling as we near our destination,,,Fort William

CameraPhoneScotland035.jpg

Pitty i didnt take more pics but he ho !

I'd post up the route i took on a map if i knew how ???

great photos Pat, I remember I was last in Larne having an Ulster fryup breakfast.

those two looked like a pair of prossies hanging around like that.

I know what you mean about stopping though, once you get on ya bike, its hard to stop just gotta keep on riding!

beautiful, beautiful countryside, gotta get up that way next year for a week.

Yeh merv, i"v never been to the top of the country yet,,, lettus kno ,and we" l ride with you,,,, note the traffic free roads,,, Thats Glen Coe,,, it was eerie at that time of night , 7pm...

I recognise them road, spent 3 years bouncin up and down them in all weathers, in a car mind you. Itchin for a jaunt up there on the divvy. Ranoch moor is a desoalte place when the weather's just wrong but on a fine day it's heaven!

Great pics . Don't think I've ever seen Larne look so good !!! Can almost see the harbour road where I completed my road test ..... twice :madflame: . Moving on ......

2 Wheels - any tips for going over to Scotland for a few days on the bike from N.I ? I'm sorry to say the last time I stayed in Scotland I was about 12 and playing football for the BB. Any suggestions would be appreciated :) Thanks.

2 Wheels - any tips for going over to Scotland for a few days on the bike from N.I ? I'm sorry to say the last time I stayed in Scotland I was about 12 and playing football for the BB. Any suggestions would be appreciated :) Thanks.

Bring something to cover your seat while on the ferry,,,,,the rachet straps they use can cut and damage it. I use an old bit of carpet, the with of your hand and long enough to come down both sides of the seat. Anything strongish will do so long as its protecting your seat,,,,eg. heavy cardbord,,,old towel ect,ect.

Go onto ferry and park where they want ya to,,,,,,let them tie down your bike,,,,then when there gone,,,,,loosen the straps and re-tie the bike yourself propperly,,,there rough and just tie your bike any aul way atall.

After that its just the normal things,,,,,,

Dont take loads of cloaths,,,,,you wont use them

Bring bank/credit card and some cash

Plan your trip on google earth before ya leave

Have an idea of the next big town your heading for,,,,,not all signs have the numbers, eg. A77 or B811 ect.

Thats all i can think of at the min,,,unless you want me to give you a full discription of all ya need.

Once you come off the ferry,,,,,,Relax and enjoy your trip,,,,,happy ridin

Pat.

Cheers 2 Wheels - good advice about the ferry - would never have thought about that. Don't fancy having to throw some glipe overboard for damaging the bike ...

Bring something to cover your seat while on the ferry,,,,,the rachet straps they use can cut and damage it. I use an old bit of carpet, the with of your hand and long enough to come down both sides of the seat. Anything strongish will do so long as its protecting your seat,,,,eg. heavy cardbord,,,old towel ect,ect.

I use my toupee :P

Go onto ferry and park where they want ya to,,,,,,let them tie down your bike,,,,then when there gone,,,,,loosen the straps and re-tie the bike yourself propperly,,,there rough and just tie your bike any aul way atall.

After that its just the normal things,,,,,,

Dont take loads of cloaths,,,,,you wont use them

Bring bank/credit card and some cash

Plan your trip on google earth before ya leave

Have an idea of the next big town your heading for,,,,,not all signs have the numbers, eg. A77 or B811 ect.

Thats all i can think of at the min,,,unless you want me to give you a full discription of all ya need.

Once you come off the ferry,,,,,,Relax and enjoy your trip,,,,,happy ridin

Pat.

being a user of cross channel ferries, the different approaches to securing bikes is always interesting:

P&O provide a rachet strap with a 'cushion' and you strap it down yourself (last year a guy nearly dropped his old zzr1100 on a new Busa, it was very close!).

Norfolkline just guide you into a space and do it all for you, they have a pad they put on the seat. I also liked the fact that they unlashed the bike for me (they also were friendly, polite and seemed to enjoy a quick chat).

Seafrance make you park in a slot (a pain as it isn't wide so you must go in dead straight and then while you sit on the bike secure a ratchet strap to each side (off of the pillion peg mounts), it a bit of a pain as you cannot unsecure it easily yourself - i have done, but you ahve to be careful to release the ratchets a little each at a time. (does not mark or dent the seat though).

LD Lines, use a strap over the seat, the crewman insisted he did it and was about to put an oily strap over the seat with no cushion, so quickly got my spare towel out and covered the seat (this was a few years ago though so it may be different).

Overall i do like the service they provide, i have noticed in the last couple of times that you have to wait until after the 'premium disembarkers' have got off, before they would wave the bikes off first of all (i guess they are just trying to justify the service to the car drivers that pay for this), doesn't bother me, i just overtake it all on the roads out of the docks.

Next service to try is the tunnel - bloody expensive though.

Yeh merv, i"v never been to the top of the country yet,,, lettus kno ,and we" l ride with you,,,, note the traffic free roads,,, Thats Glen Coe,,, it was eerie at that time of night , 7pm...

I'm seriously thinking about it, it was close this summer, might do easter or june 1/2 term. If i firm up and plans i'll let you know

• 1 month later...

I make the trip to scotland every two months as the missus is scotish we drive in car ;-( she mostly sleeps in the back seat to larne to cairnryan then to lockibre and i hav to say the roads and the country side r just brilliant i cant wait til i get my ibt training course and ful licence test out of the way then its a bigger cc bike . Then she can be on the back and there will b no sleeping as we drive on probely one of the greatest drives il ever go on ! I cnt wait :-)

Yeah,, deffo on the long "to do" list.

Really gotto get off my ass and apply for the full licence. :sigh2:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online