Engine bearings - What is your opinion please?

DirtyDT
This post is 4678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had a good chat at the YOC meet with OG about engine bearings as I was looking to but original Suzi ones. He did mention a couple of company names of quality bearings but I have forgotten them (age) so if you would like to remind me please OG!

Anyway, what is your opinion about pattern bearings, not cheap rubbish but better quality ones?

The original bearings and seals for the TS are £206 which I don't mind providing that is the best option and I am not forever having to strip the engine and buy another gasket set, but is that the best option in your opinion? This assumes that the bearings are available and I don't get some originals and some patterns anyway.

As an example;

An original drive chain bearing is pennies shy of £40 The Suzi supplier also advertises a pattern bearing for £12.67 The size is 22X56X16 with a code of 63/22C3 if that is any use. This single bearing alone means that I could save £27 by going the pattern route.

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, I think I'm right in saying that none of the major players manufacture their own bearings in-house, they buy them in from the likes of SKF and FAG. Sooooo ..... why not cut out the middleman?

I get all my bearings from the local factors, where I get a choice ranging from the cheap 'Tesco Value' up to 'Not just a bearing, this is a Marks & Spencer bearing', I usually plump for something in the middle strangely!

Here, have a link to your size over at Simply Bearings - their most expensive one is only £19 (plus VAT), so where Suzuki get £40 from ....?

In my experience with pattern stuff, i've found there to be two types of pattern stuff, first type is usually a Tiawanese/ Chinese company getting hold of an original type of say a bearing, and copying it, banging out millions using sub standard metal, ball bearings, etc, the other type is usually a reputable company who are comissioned under a licence to make a certain amount, say 100,000 units, to a company, let's say Yamaha, once this commission has been suplied, the manufacturing company is still all geared up to make the (pattern) stuff, machinary, dies etc, so they are then able to carry on producing the original bearings, but are only allowed to call it pattern and not genuine. I found this out when I used to use a company called Partco, and the chap there explained all about the pattern stuff to me.

Thank you guys. The links are handy and I will price up the bearings I have the sizes for, to compare. koyo fag skf then.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online