First Bike - Yamaha SR125

atig
This post is 4640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I am a new here and a new rider and a new yamaha owner.

I just bought my first bike couple of days ago and while I waited for the insurance documents to arrive, I noticed that the tyre pressure in the rear tyre has gone down.

The tyre is not flat, but it isn't inflated as the front tyre either?

I don't have an air pump.

What should I do?

- walk the bike to the petrol station 0.4 miles away to check if it's a puncture or just the air leaked out. If so, how and where should I walk the bike? sidewalk or on-road?

Do I need to be wearing a helmet while walking the bike?

- since I haven't got the insurance documents yet, I don't have a 'breakdown cover' so should I call a mobile mechanic? (I live in London so any suggestions might be appreciated)

- anything else?

Thanks

Edited by atig

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Technically, if the bike is on the public highway, it has to be insured, taxed & MOT'ed and you have to be licenced, even if only pushing it. Calling a mobile mechanic for what may be just an underinflated tyre is a bit overkill, and likely to be expensive. Why not just pop along to your nearest Hellfraud's and lay a fiver on the counter for a footpump - Clicky link thing - it's an investment that will pay you back many times over the years.

As for the tyre itself - if it's not fully flat you've got a choice of slow puncture, leaky valve or just plain underinflation. While you're in Hellfraud's get a pressure gauge (the ones on the pumps are not usually that accurate...), then you can pump up the tyre and monitor it over a day or three to see what happens.

By the way - point of etiquette - it's considered polite here if you introduce yourself before launching in with the questions - just a quick "Hi, I'm atig and I'm an alc ...." over here - Another Clicky Link. Just be thankful you didn't get sent here (yes, this is a link as well).

You're welcome.

Technically, if the bike is on the public highway, it has to be insured, taxed & MOT'ed and you have to be licenced, even if only pushing it. Calling a mobile mechanic for what may be just an underinflated tyre is a bit overkill, and likely to be expensive. Why not just pop along to your nearest Hellfraud's and lay a fiver on the counter for a footpump - Clicky link thing - it's an investment that will pay you back many times over the years.

As for the tyre itself - if it's not fully flat you've got a choice of slow puncture, leaky valve or just plain underinflation. While you're in Hellfraud's get a pressure gauge (the ones on the pumps are not usually that accurate...), then you can pump up the tyre and monitor it over a day or three to see what happens.

By the way - point of etiquette - it's considered polite here if you introduce yourself before launching in with the questions - just a quick "Hi, I'm atig and I'm an alc ...." over here - Another Clicky Link. Just be thankful you didn't get sent here (yes, this is a link as well).

You're welcome.

Thanks KirriePete for the Helfrauds Idea, I was thinking of that but didn't know where I could find one. I did try my bicycle pump which obviously didn't work :(

Just being cheeky but the link says "New Members If this is your first time, come on in and introduce yourself or just say hi."

I did say Hi :P

But yes, I agree. Have edited my original post and added a bit of introduction.

Just out of curiosity, if I were pushing it where would I be pushing it? sidewalk or on the road?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online