thundercat carbs

chains1984
This post is 4649 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I bought a 2000 thundercat the other day which had been layed up for about a year. At the moment it starts and idles fine but when you rev it its gags and sputters at about 8000rpm and its the same whilst riding it, very sketchy.

My best guess is the carbs need a good clean out (unless anyone else can think of summin else it might be) which leads my to my next question.

I can get a nice pair of carbs from a 96 model that are clean and was wondering if they'll fit as it will save me the cost of buying 4 carb gaskets.

Amy help/advice appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I bought a 2000 thundercat the other day which had been layed up for about a year. At the moment it starts and idles fine but when you rev it its gags and sputters at about 8000rpm and its the same whilst riding it, very sketchy.

My best guess is the carbs need a good clean out (unless anyone else can think of summin else it might be) which leads my to my next question.

I can get a nice pair of carbs from a 96 model that are clean and was wondering if they'll fit as it will save me the cost of buying 4 carb gaskets.

Amy help/advice appreciated.

Hi,

earlier carbs will fit fine, but you are best off getting the originals cleaned professionally. ( I had mine done a few years back for £50 ). The earlier carbs may look clean but unless you know where there coming from you cant guarantee they'll be any better than the present ones. If you do them yourself immerse the innards in nail varnish remover or paint stripper-you can re-use the gaskets.

Hope this is of some use

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online