Hello and a Couple of Questions

Campaman
This post is 4643 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First Hi & Hello to everyone, just took delivery of a nice & shiny 1998 650 Dragstar Classic in the Gold & Bronze colour.

Question 1.

There is no tax disc holder on the bike, I am going to pick one up later but where abouts on this bike are they usually mounted? There is a couple of small holes on the bottom of the nearside (UK) front mudguard, and I also notice a small L bracket on the fram below the horn.

Question 2.

In the rear bag I found a smallish piece of chromed metal, which I have worked out is the outer piece of the heat shiled on the curve where the back cylinders pipe curves round, there is the large heat shield with two holes one has a bold sticking through locked off with a nut, and the small piece I have found has two captive nuts in it.

Is it an easy job to re-install this part on the bike? It looks like the larger inner heatshield could just be unbolted but I am not sure.

Not had a bike for a few years and been after another for ages, now got this one and am very happy with it, just wish it would stop raining so that I can go for a ride once I have sorted the tax disc holder out.

Thanks

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

650 Dragstar = Great bike. Custom version is better, though.

Tax disc - Left side somewhere is the usual.

Try the rear nut on the mudguard. That's where mine is.

Heat shield - If it's the part I think it is, I believe it will just bolt back on, yes.

question 1. I dont think it really matter, on my bike i have my tax disc holder mounted on the rear swing arm - took one of the bolts off the chain guard and used that as my bolt to secure it. However, my old man has his tax disk holder ( the suction type like on a car windscreen) on his Honda Pan European mounted on the screen so . . . i think as long as it can been seen by anyone police etc then you should be fine :)

not to sure about the heat shield thow, sorry

Matthew

Hi to you both.

Thanks, think I will put the tax disc on the mudguard then, and Ttaskmaster I have read through most of this section of the forum and I noticed that the custom version is better :-)

The heat shield is sort of L shaped around 6-8 inches long, the other pipe has a similar piece but straight, it looks as though if I can get the inner larger heat sheild off its just a matter of bolting it back to that and then putting the large one back, I will have to have a better look in the light.

Thanks

question 1. I dont think it really matter, on my bike i have my tax disc holder mounted on the rear swing arm - took one of the bolts off the chain guard and used that as my bolt to secure it. However, my old man has his tax disk holder ( the suction type like on a car windscreen) on his Honda Pan European mounted on the screen so . . . i think as long as it can been seen by anyone police etc then you should be fine :)

not to sure about the heat shield thow, sorry

Matthew

Just noticed you have got a XJ600N, I had a XJ600 with the fairing and belly pan when they first came out, around 1983/84 I think, always liked that bike, had it for about 6 years.

Just noticed you have got a XJ600N, I had a XJ600 with the fairing and belly pan when they first came out, around 1983/84 I think, always liked that bike, had it for about 6 years.

i have been told that there are great bikes ! the thing i like aabout the naked verson is, that allthough my model is now nearly 15 years old, its in great condition and the shape and design of the bike still looks modern :D

i love it, its great fun . . shame cause of my licence its restricted to 33bhp thow :/

HI Mate and welcome!

My tax disc is on the left hand side pillion foot peg bolts (i take no prisoners ...i mean passengers)

My heat shield was held on by a juberlee clip but i have removed this sheild due to popping on some exhuast wrap.

Cracking bike this is and as long as you dont over load it with shiney bits from highway hawk you can sustain the national speed limit easy :D Have you any plans for the bike other than riding it?

Hi Noise

Stuck the tax disc holder on the bottom bracket that the clutch cable guide is held on by, as its a shiny holder need to be visible.

Not much to do with the bike as it already has loads of Highway hawk stuff - screen, rack, sissybar, mirrors, airfilter cover, number plate mount, rear lamp cover, brake cyclinder cover, front mudguard bumper and also got a some leather panniers and a rear bag.

Think it needs pannier supports though as they seem to be touching the exhaust silencer.

Anyone know what was in the original toolkit as the bike hasn't got one so I need to make one up?

Also noticed at the weekend that the fuel filler cap doesn't lock, the key goes in but it wont turn, so it either needs repair or replacement, any ideas?

Apart from that so far so good, and it rides like a dream...

Cap doesn't unlock??

How did the previous owner fill up, then?

Original toolkit - No idea. Probably a few spanners and a screwdriver. Maybe a spark plug wrench.

I keep a motorcycle multi-tool to hand with allen keys, 8-18mm socket heads (plus a long 18mm one for the plugs), mini-pliers, cable ties and a tyre gauge.

Nah like I said up there the filler cap doesn't lock, its unlocked and wont lock, which reading the owners manual is a fault in its self as you are not supposed to be able to pull the key out in the un-locked position.

Was thinking just a set of allen keys, set of spanners and plyers, but your additions sound like a good idea, always carry a roll of Duct Tape in our motorhome, but dont know if that would be of use on the bike

Personally, I'd flood the thing with graphite grease spray and try to wash out the crap that's probably sticking it up. Then look at disassembly as a second option.

, always carry a roll of Duct Tape in our motorhome, but dont know if that would be of use on the bike

I could think of a use for it, especially with the missus on the back :blink:

Hi Nev

Very good, I assume she doesn't frequent these forums then :-)

Any one got an idea of what sort of MPG / Tank range I can expect with this bike? and how do you manage to hold the thing upright on your own to check the oil level?

Expect 120 miles before hitting reserve. Probably more if you don't rag it like a twat (as I do :) ).

Full tank, including reserve should get you 175 miles or thereabouts. If you're planning this all in one hit, as in touring or somesuch, keep a little spare fuel can to hand. Also good for getting the evening campfire blazing ;)

Upright bike on your own - Get a proper bike jack. This will prove very useful for later maintenance.

Failing that, ask a neighbour or bump the bike nose-first onto the kerb and whack a block of wood under the sidestand. This last option is dangerous though and not an official YOC Forum endorsed method...

Why is the Custom better?

Personal preference, mostly. I just think Customs look better.

For the same reason that, out of two bikes, same model, same year, same everything, the RED one is always faster!!

You ever seen those heavily accessoried Harleys? The big Fat Boy models with all the chrome, the white leather and the tassles on everything (seats, saddlebags, bar ends, even floorboards)? The bikes look like frickin' Elvis in his white suit!!

Well, Classics with their looooong sweeping mudguards and heavy accenting seem one step down the awful road toward having an Elvis for a bike, to me! :lol:

Nowhere near as bad as that Kawasaki one, but still not to my taste.

However.... The 650 Classic does have about 20kg (or was it 50kg?) extra weight, thanks to the metal mudguards and beefed up seat, fork shrouds and other chunkier accenting.

So, technically, you could argue that the lighter Custom has slightly better performance... technically.

End of the day, fuck what anyone else's opinions are - ride what makes you happy!! :D

From what I have read the Classic is about 30kgs heavier, the front wheel is I think smaller diameter but fatter, and it has a slightly higher seat than the Custom.

I started off looking at the Custom and the Classic but after seeing a few I realised I prefered the Classic so made the decision to get one rather than get the Custom and try to turn it into a Classic.

If we all like the same thing it would be a very boring world.

I loved my old classic, it is far and away a much better bike than the Custom, just look at the class of riders who choose the classic.....ME! :lol:

Picture009-1.jpg

A few months back someone else was looking for a fuel cap, they had no luck finding a pattern part so I enquired whilst I was at the local Yamaha dealer. They are still availible but will cost you £99.00!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online