Yamaha DT200WR

AndyDtr08
This post is 4588 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I'm finally getting round to starting my project thread. The main reason I havn't so far is because I can't drag myself away from the bike!

A friend who dabbles in bikes was offered this when he put an ad in the friday-ad for "Project Bikes wanted". He wasnt interested but knew i liked 2-stroke powervalve models so offered it to me. I ended up paying £170 for it. My plan is to put it on the road and use until I find the right RD350LC YPVS. So i pushed it home, put everything back on that had been taken off and this is what it looked like.

original26.jpg

I Love It!

It may be in a mess and the graphics are awful but the look of the bike is, in my opinion, fantastic. I was originally going to just fix it up and sell it on for some more money towards a nicer RD350 but now i NEED to ride it.

I started with the exhuast. This was because I saw Nev's project thread and decided to give his idea of T cut and a wire brush a go. It worked brilliantly. I've put that down in favour of getting everything mechanically sound and ready for an mot but here are some photos of the stage i am at. The DEP pipe was absolutly covered in rust when i got it. Its eaten right into it but visually it will come up great. After wire brushing it all off i found that Autoglym metal polish was the best for getting a sheen. Better than Autosol strangely.

On one of the photos you can see either side of the seam, the bit that has had the most work.

original66.jpg

original64.jpg

original65.jpg

Well thats all the photos i have atm, as the rest are on the girlfriends digital camera. These are from my iphone and are shite quality. I'll have the get the others put on the mac soon. If i wake her up for her camera now i'll never be allowed to use it again so i'll just be patient!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok so I've got more pictures and have made more progress!

I really dont like the graphics kit that is on there at the moment and apparently i am "obsessed with black and white" my girlfriend says as i have chosen to go with black and white colour scheme. It's because i've resprayed my MTB recently and it's also B&W.

original67.jpg

So i started stripping off all the stickers and T-cutting the plastics as they had loads of scratches and dirt filled chips. This worked relly well. The front mudguard and fork protectors havnt come up particularly well but at the end of the day they will be cover in the new graphics kit anyway.

DSCN2819.jpg

DSCN2826.jpg

DSCN2825.jpg

DSCN2824.jpg

DSCN2821.jpg

DSCN2820.jpg

DSCN2849.jpg

DSCN2843.jpg

DSCN2845.jpg

As you can see, the black sections still need work and none of the panels have been polished. I used autoglym resin polish to buff up the headlight surround which worked great and looks fantastic now. It might have to stay plain white as the graphics kits made are for the original units and this is an aftermarket. I'm glad as it looks alot nicer than the 90's square style one!

I had been told that the clutch was broken. I took the clutch cover off and cannot see any damage and i think that it is just stuck.

DSCN2855.jpg

So my next stage was to get a clutch cable. I tried my local yamaha dealer, as you do, and they told me that they do not deal with the offroad bikes and cannot get any parts but reccomended a motocross shop that i have used before for barrel bore's on DT125's. Boretech Engineering. The guy there was the one that told me that the bike was a dt200wr and not a wr200. I also asked for a throttle cable and explained to him that the bike was premix so the original with a junction box wouldnt be best. I took the throttle twistgrip and housing and carb up to him with a piece of string for the length and he said he would be able to source or make one to ft. After weeks of calling him to find out if my cables were ready and being told "tomorrow or friday" each week. He finally had the clutch cable and "A" throttle cable. The clutch is right but the throttle is from a YZ80 and is pretty much useless. Not impressed.

I then remembered that DeeTeeMX that used to use this forum to discuss DT125's had a DT200WR and so i made contact with him. He suggested that i try finding a WR200 throttle cable as they used the same carb and wernt autolube.

What a lead!

I then happened to be looking through the forums on here and in the workshop section i found the link to the parts manuals that OldGit had posted. Effing brilliant! The Yamaha WR200RD (as listed in the parts manuals) uses exactly the same parts as the Yamaha DT200WR. So now i have a complete parts manual with parts numbers for te bike.

It gets better. I then googled a few of the part numbers. First i found an american company that stocks a huge amount of the parts, ok so i have to pay some more postage but these parts are like hens teeth due to the rarity of the bike. I continued interrogating Mr.G.Oogle and he reliquished his secrets! A UK company based in mitlon keys that stocks more than the american company and has almost every single nut, bolt and washer (Yamaha OEM parts). Ok so £1,400 for a frame is alot and £450 odd for the powervalve servo is too, but most is fairly priced!!!!

http://www.yamahascooterspares.co.uk/spares/modelImage.asp?modelID=10665&uid=0

The exhuast is now as far as i am going to take it. It's very hard to get in under the bend in the pipe near the manifold where the remainder of the rust is. I may give it another go but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did when i started and still needs more polishing! Thanks Nev!

DSCN2846.jpg

DSCN2848.jpg

DSCN2847.jpg

I had a quick look at the swing arm. It appears that with a bit of T cut and rag it will come up great!

DSCN2853.jpg

The seat will need to be re covered in black. I will probably use Nev's guy down his way unless i can find anything better locally to save on postage. There is one on ebay in black and good con (the pics say so anyway). But the guy wants 38 quid minimum and his replies are blunt and unhelpful so ill avoid him i think.

Another thanks to nev for recommending the Polisport tail tidy. I ordered one from ebay for 37 quid delivered and also ordered a set of indicators (4 for £23 delivered). The tail tidy is ready to be fitted. The front indicators will need some mounting plates made up but i have an engineering friend who can sort that for me.

DSCN2851.jpg

I have the V55/5 form, a dating certificate and the £55 ready. I need to get the bike ready for an mot which apparently will be done on the frame number. I still don't know for sure that the bike is legit but as th police are refusing to check i have no option but to go for it!

I've been really busy recently and havnt got as much done as i would have liked. Now the bike is behind my Dads bike and i fear moving his too much to do any work on mine! Ha!

DSCN2859.jpg

So thats the stage I am at! Will update more when i have more! I've got my DAS test next friday so will probably be getting alot of riding hours on the DT125 before hand so wont do much for a week or so.

looking good mate

Nice Kettle there too

Merv

Keep at it Andy,coming together nicely mate I want to see a video of it running, a job for Seb mebbe? ;)

Seats a good 'un, btw, deffo worth the £15, shaped too. the Polisport tail piece looking nice, although I went with Acerbis, lol, Polisport front mudguard ;)

Aye nice kettle, but never a match for the 750/4 mind as I often prooved :blink:

Cheers guys. Nev, did you not suggest the polisport tail tidy? If not ive no idea where i got that from then! HA! Yeah would be nice to have a film of it running! I've been in brighton today shooting a Viral Advert for www.trueutility.co.uk

I ended up acting in it. I had to walk around brighton in just a pair of tight swimming shorts and some flippers. I'll upload it once ive edited. Got a few more to shoot over the next few weeks as well but hopefully they'll be less embaressing!

Cheers guys. Nev, did you not suggest the polisport tail tidy? If not ive no idea where i got that from then! HA! Yeah would be nice to have a film of it running! I've been in brighton today shooting a Viral Advert for www.trueutility.co.uk

I ended up acting in it. I had to walk around brighton in just a pair of tight swimming shorts and some flippers. I'll upload it once ive edited. Got a few more to shoot over the next few weeks as well but hopefully they'll be less embaressing!

Dressed like that in Brighton, I would have my buttocks pressed firmly against a wall,somewhere, certainly not walking around :blink:

Dressed like that in Brighton, I would have my buttocks pressed firmly against a wall,somewhere, certainly not walking around :blink:

My greatest fear of the day was being eaten by a shark. My second was buggery!

DeeTeeMX has a spare 2stroke tank so im buying that from him. I'll then look about getting an oil pump fitted as they look to use the same as the DTR's. Also, the later Dt's have the male threaded section coming from the top of the carb. I have one in my bloody garage and just never thought about it. Never had that bike apart so didnt realise! So if i get an autolube system set up, i should be able to use the throttle cable with junction box from a DT125!

Now there's a word you don't often see in a bike forum - "buggery." That'll make me chuckle all day

DeeTeeMX has a spare 2stroke tank so im buying that from him. I'll then look about getting an oil pump fitted as they look to use the same as the DTR's. Also, the later Dt's have the male threaded section coming from the top of the carb. I have one in my bloody garage and just never thought about it. Never had that bike apart so didnt realise! So if i get an autolube system set up, i should be able to use the throttle cable with junction box from a DT125!

Yer a braver man than me Andy, after seeing/ owning bikes that have semi-seized pistons due to some fault or other with the oil pump, I go pre-mixed nowadays, I'm keeping the oil bottle mind, and I'll rig up an inline tap, that allows an oil flow into a clear see through pipe that'll be marked in ml accordingly, I use the ratio buddy program to work out a ratio of 42 - 1, a full tank 7 litres needs 166ml of 2t oil, 3.5L needs

84ml, and a litre needs 24ml, so as long as I have those measurements on the pipe, I can fill up at the garage, then add into the petrol, whatever 2t oil measurement from the tube, a bit of a palaver fair enough, maybe 5 mins extra at the service station, but no where near as long as replacing a piston.

Yer a braver man than me Andy, after seeing/ owning bikes that have semi-seized pistons due to some fault or other with the oil pump, I go pre-mixed nowadays, I'm keeping the oil bottle mind, and I'll rig up an inline tap, that allows an oil flow into a clear see through pipe that'll be marked in ml accordingly, I use the ratio buddy program to work out a ratio of 42 - 1, a full tank 7 litres needs 166ml of 2t oil, 3.5L needs

84ml, and a litre needs 24ml, so as long as I have those measurements on the pipe, I can fill up at the garage, then add into the petrol, whatever 2t oil measurement from the tube, a bit of a palaver fair enough, maybe 5 mins extra at the service station, but no where near as long as replacing a piston.

I might do the same. Keep me updated on how you'll set that up and I'll probably copy you again! :P How do you mix it up in the tank though? Just shake it around?

I might do the same. Keep me updated on how you'll set that up and I'll probably copy you again! :P How do you mix it up in the tank though? Just shake it around?

Aye old school way ;)

So I've got the week off work appaarently. I think someones made some mistakes with holiday hours but that suits me. Yesterday i took the clutch apart. Turned out the plates were all just stuck together. As i took it off i notice that the basket had some strange wear marks and thought i was screwed. I put it all back together and it works fine. then i found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-Yamaha-WR200-clutch-assembly-92-wr-200-/190421786622?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5605dffe

Exactly the same wear marks. Strange. All working fine though. Waiting for the throttle cable to arrive. Then it will be onto the electrics. =/

• 2 weeks later...

So, i finally got my throttle cable through from the states. I then found that whoever had the bike before had put the wrong throttle slide return spring in the top of the carb. Thanksfully DeeTeeMX has sent me through the correct one and so the last piece of the puzzle has arrived. To get the bike running i mean! Cosmetically there are still alot of things to do!

Last night i put everything on and off again and on and off again (the clutch cover as i kept messing up the positioning). Finally i got it together, filled up with some water, mixed a ratio of 32:1 for the time being. Put some gear oil in and then checked the spark. Nothing. The wiring has been messed up at the front. Messed around with the wires and connecters and got a spark! "Hell Yeah Futher Mucker" i shouted (after my no spark problems with my 86 DT lc a spark was beautiful).

After a lot of kicking, i made it pop a couple of times. I have a nasty bruise on the bottom of my foot now where it kicked back hard (i only had trainers on). Also the fact that i've put a smaller kick start on as the original interfers with the DEP pipe atm.

It appears that the clutch is sliding and the carb has some problems. One of the overflow pipes ended up shooting the fuel back out.

Thats as far as i got as i got called up to go and look at a DTR that someone wanted 200 quid for to shift. The current owner thinks it's a special one as the engine number reads 1N23456. Can you believe it! It was a bargepole job!

Next steps, take carb off and see what we have there. Have another look at the clutch.

• 1 month later...

So, it's been a while since i've done anything with the bike due to other projects for friends. An old 87 NS125F which has now become redundant due to it needing replating. God Damn Nicosil plating! If anyone is interested, let me know. I've also been helping another friend get his latest purchase running. A 1995 Yamaha TZR125RR Belgarda. I'll soon be done with that and getting back onto the 200.

I can't work out why it wont start though. I've got a good spark, it's fuelling fine but it wont start. It will keep backfiring if i keep kicking it but nothing else. I might take the engine apart and have a look as i've not opened it up at all. If anyone has any ideas, shoot! :)