Battery Exploding

Hdegan
This post is 4732 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I drive a yamaha dragster 125 and a couple of weeks back i lost all ignition power, upon inspection of the battery it had "exploded" bubbled outwards. I did think this very strange but put it down to old age/wear and tear.I ordered a new battery of ebay and stuck it in less than a week ago. today i was out and lost power again. checked battery and the same thing has happened. battery exploded. Im stumped!

Anyone know what causes this?

thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

reg/rec is faulty men, it doesnt regulate the voltage being produced so the battery is being overcharged, it heats up and when all the liquid/acid is turned into sulfer dioxide...it explodes..

There are many threads here and elsewhere on this, the overcharging is more pronounced when u drive at higher speeds when rec/reg malfunctioning.

put a new battery, put a new reg/rec , then hook up a multimeter to battery terminals and start the bike, the voltage should rise up but should remain around 13.5 volts, that means the voltage being regulated..if it rises upto 17, 18 volts..then reg/rec is bad...

:)