My DT175mx

This post is 4564 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not looking too bad to start with there (not easy to tell though) see you got a genuine exhaust, a wheel rebuild??? done much to her?

The engine jus had new piston and rings and repainted the side casings. Stripped the bike to bare frame due to being hand painted. Plastic coated frame and put new bushed etc in swing arm. Had to respray tank due to bubbling and side panels to match. Rebuilt forks. New handle bars,indicators,battery and cables. Now will have new barb. wheels rebuilt a few years ago with new spokes. A small amount of crome flaking on rims but not much. In all not perfect but im happy with it. If i sell what do you think i would get? Only had 3 owners with a lot of history.

The engine jus had new piston and rings and repainted the side casings. Stripped the bike to bare frame due to being hand painted. Plastic coated frame and put new bushed etc in swing arm. Had to respray tank due to bubbling and side panels to match. Rebuilt forks. New handle bars,indicators,battery and cables. Now will have new barb. wheels rebuilt a few years ago with new spokes. A small amount of crome flaking on rims but not much. In all not perfect but im happy with it. If i sell what do you think i would get? Only had 3 owners with a lot of history.

Not sure mate you never can tell, I assume you have been watching them go yourself. If I were to guess I would say anything over £1000

Not sure mate you never can tell, I assume you have been watching them go yourself. If I were to guess I would say anything over £1000

I was thinking around £1200 to 1300 but hey i want to keep it ;o)

Thats possible sure shes a lovely example...hope you get to keep it mate ;)

Fitted new carb but it still apears to be the same. Loads of white smoke and strong smell of fuel. Still not managed to get it ticking over.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeh she,s lovely, I am sick years ago I bought a pair of 78 side panels for pennies did not keep them ,think I sold pair for a tenner as wanted the newer type 79/83 I now have a 78 frame and have not seen any of these side panels in ages they are as rare as hell now.

Love the tank decals bit of a fraud but there what I am going to stick on my 79

We ought to start a 1978 MX appreciation society!

I paid £1200 for mine in january and have spent an additional X amount on it since!!

Mines got slightly larger graphics on the side panels? I assumed they were genuine but looking at the brochure cover and Clives I see the D and the O centres are blacked in, so I guess mine are replicas...

This was before I put on the rack and mudflap a few weeks ago.

dt175.jpg

NEO Yamaha must have got something right 30 years and boys still drooll over em :hyper: someone someware has them side panels of mine now, bet they look good now LOL could be yours. I have been onto the seller on ebay who sells the tank decals but only with125 on side panel only, he ,s told me he can change the 125 to 175 so lets hope he can, if he stuck 175 on sure he would sell more and maybe drop price a bit.

Oh and I stopped counting how much I had spent on mine in 2004 plain barmy.

We ought to start a 1978 MX appreciation society!

I paid £1200 for mine in january and have spent an additional X amount on it since!!

Mines got slightly larger graphics on the side panels? I assumed they were genuine but looking at the brochure cover and Clives I see the D and the O centres are blacked in, so I guess mine are replicas...

This was before I put on the rack and mudflap a few weeks ago.

dt175.jpg

Yes the original panel decal for 1978 had the D, R, O and 5 all filled in with black. I have an original MCM 'Road Test' from 1978 anyone want me to scan it?...hmmm not bad for £570

You know much as i like mine don't you think they could have made them just a bit livelier, same off road.

I keep looking at mine and wondering if a lc motor would go in discretely.........

I have an original MCM 'Road Test' from 1978 anyone want me to scan it

Yes Paul you can put me down for a scan, be good to read it.

Yes the original panel decal for 1978 had the D, R, O and 5 all filled in with black.

I've also only just noticed but the tank graphics are slightly smaller on Clives restored version.

The original coloured panel takes up a lot more of the tank than Clives new decals. Clives before photo has the same tank graphics as mine.

Thats a cracking job " i like the early Mx"s,, a mate in my scheme had the first 175mx , [ same as this] i had the twinshock, 175s out numbered the DT250s in our area.

[ 250cc was learner legal]

His never had an 240volt adapter on sidestand tho " :biglaugha: . Handy to charge the battery eh,, :eusa_whistle:

ok PM me your email and i will attempt to send it, if someone else wants it, you send the next one etc etc

78 MX Chain Mail?

PM winging its way, if I may!

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen this bike on ebay, hope the sale goes well. Wish I had the money, its tidier than mine, and its a 78!!!

• 1 month later...

Ok gent,

Just had new crank bearings and seals. Starts well then starts to splutter very soon and does not rev. Only %83 compression so will that cause this ? what else can it be? at my wits end here. Looks like i will have to get a loan to pay solicitors at this rate;o(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online