Clutch slip

james0608
This post is 4802 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have a problem when my bike is cold it seems to jump from 4K-6K rpm when the clutch lever is fully out at first i thought it was the clutch plates which i have replaced both them and the srings the bike ran great for the first few days but now the fault has returned any advice would be great Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Greetings James. is there some slack in the cable? did you use bike specific oil? how about an intro in new members forum?

Hi thanks for answering, yes there is some slack on the cable I have striped the cable off and lubricated it and I am using 10/40 semi synthetic.

is it bike oil James...not general car oil?

yes it is bike oil. when the sliping first started i was using fully synthetic then after reading some forums where they said that this could be an issue i changed back to semi synthetic after the new clutch was fitted.

Have you fitted EBC plates?? My mate Paulfitted new EBC plates to his RD400 recently and new HD springs and it slipped in spite of all he tried evntually he stripped it out again and the new replacement clutch plates where actually thinner than the ones he took out, he put his old plates back in clutch slip gone

merv

Have you fitted EBC plates?? My mate Paulfitted new EBC plates to his RD400 recently and new HD springs and it slipped in spite of all he tried evntually he stripped it out again and the new replacement clutch plates where actually thinner than the ones he took out, he put his old plates back in clutch slip gone

merv

Hi there I did use EBC plate but the old plates were badly worn the clutch was great for the first week no slipping.

merv

Not saying its right merv but this could have been adjusted out...no?...using the pressure plate adjuster?

Hi there I did use EBC plate but the old plates were badly worn the clutch was great for the first week no slipping.

same thing goes for yours James, if the new plates are not as thick then it will all 'bottom out' on the previous adjustment setting. Theres more than just the cable adjustment on a clutch...least thats my experience of em ;)

Paul

I dont think you can adjust it out, the springs hold it in and there are stops on the pressure plate that stop it going in too far, actually the upgrade for the RD400 is XS400 /750 plates that have more friction area

Merv

Paul

I dont think you can adjust it out, the springs hold it in and there are stops on the pressure plate that stop it going in too far, actually the upgrade for the RD400 is XS400 /750 plates that have more friction area

Merv

not XS 400 parts in an RD Merv :o

I'm storing that litle gem for the right moment! :P

• 2 weeks later...

not XS 400 parts in an RD Merv :o

I'm storing that litle gem for the right moment! :P

[/quot

just a quick update I have manged to fix the problem with my clutch I have change the cable and reset the push rod concentric which fixed the problem. Thanks for all your advice cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online