Bike doesn't like water

DTGordo
This post is 4812 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings all,

I've been out riding quite a bit and the bike is going well but not in the wet.

If anyone has any advice on this one it would be mucho appreciated:

When it's wet enough to pull water up off the front tyre, the bike will go for a bit, nothing for a bit, then go for a bit a couple of times with maybe a backfire or two and then stop dead. If the engine's hot it will start after a short wait but sometimes go/stop/go/stop again.

I'm suspecting water getting into the coil. The lead is a bit loose at the coil and I've tried to seal it but that didn't work. Taking the plug out it has a bit of orange spark and it looks like that's where the problem is at but I'm not sure if it could be anywhere else. (For a while there I had a little water getting into the top of the carby before I replaced washers and got a new rubber boot).

Before racing out to get a new coil, I just wanted to ask if anyone thought it might be something else. If it is the coil, I can't see if the lead can be replaced and how this might be done.

It runs fine when dry so I just have to work out what the water's getting into.

Thanks,

Gordo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Great and thanks,

Will get onto that and see how I go.

Gordo

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online