TW125 doesn't start

e30lou
This post is 4660 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Just bought my second TW125 but unfortunately this one has issues. Was actually fine when I picked it up, started first time no problem. After I rode it for around 30 miles it suddenly cut out. I could rev the throttle but it was like it skipped out of gear or something. Anyhow, managed to get it started again after a few goes but sadly a few miles later it cut out again. I was thinking, ever since I had turned the lights on it seemed to be when it cut out and when I left it beside the road with the lights on for say 30 mins(waiting for tow truck) the lights got dimmer then indicators started flashing quickly. I turned the ignition off and waited 10 mins then I tried starting it again, the lights came on brighter but instantly started to dim when I tried starting it. So is the battery the cause of my start problem or possibly something else? thanks for reading

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth mentioning that when I did try to start it you could hear the engine trying to tick over but it was like it didn't have enough power if that makes sense. Hope someone can help :(

i've been checking online for other solutions and it seems the regulator/rectifier is at fault. would it be correct to assume this? also, perhaps the starter relay is bad but not sure that's the case as I can hear a click when I try to start the bike.

please please can someone help or at least let me know if i'm heading in the right direction. thank you

i've been checking online for other solutions and it seems the regulator/rectifier is at fault. would it be correct to assume this? also, perhaps the starter relay is bad but not sure that's the case as I can hear a click when I try to start the bike.

please please can someone help or at least let me know if i'm heading in the right direction. thank you

I'd say that if you definately know your battery is good, and you hear a clicking when you try and start it, may be one of two things I'd go for, firstly tap the starter with the wooden shaft of a hammer, a couple of times, it could be that the starter is jamming on the bendix cogs and if still clicking after that replace the starter relay, first checking you have a good earth to the starter and wiring looks ok.

All else fails mind, find yourself a bit of a hill, should bump start in second gear ;)

I'd say that if you definately know your battery is good, and you hear a clicking when you try and start it, may be one of two things I'd go for, firstly tap the starter with the wooden shaft of a hammer, a couple of times, it could be that the starter is jamming on the bendix cogs and if still clicking after that replace the starter relay, first checking you have a good earth to the starter and wiring looks ok.

All else fails mind, find yourself a bit of a hill, should bump start in second gear ;)

thanks so much NEV :) will give this a go in a little while and see what happens. never thought about tapping the starter but worth a shot

just thinking, if the bike cut out whilst I was riding it, would this still be the starter motor problem?

just thinking, if the bike cut out whilst I was riding it, would this still be the starter motor problem?

Very much doubt it no, but it does sound electrical, maybe a bad earth? cdi earth? HT lead breaking up, could be a few things.

Very much doubt it no, but it does sound electrical, maybe a bad earth? cdi earth? HT lead breaking up, could be a few things.

tapping the starter didn't work. I'll check all of the above tomorrow. Thanks again

check you voltage on the battery terminals, start the bike and rev it...you should get around 14.5 volts there maximum.

hi oldgitonabike, the bike doesn't even start....this is my problem ;) but i've managed to find some wiring diagrams with diagnostics so I'll get the multimeter out tomorrow :D

hey so I checked all the switches, relays and bits but they're all fine. so I think in actual fact it must be the starter motor. Got a mate to help me out, took the starter motor off and he took it to bits, did some measuring and that but not sure what he was doing?? Now we've put it all back together and there's a horrible grinding/crunching noise which must be coming from the starter motor. Any ideas?

Got a mate to help me out, took the starter motor off and he took it to bits, did some measuring and that but not sure what he was doing??

I reckon that's your problem mate, no crunching noise before, but now crunching noise after your mate had a look, mind you relay would be working if the starter turns, so I'd take the starter back off, take pics of it in stages as you strip it down, clean down then regrease the splines, check the two electrical brushes inside,for wear and location, then put it all back together, referring to phone camera pics if need be, but it would help you more if you had a workshop manual for it mind.

so I'd take the starter back off, take pics of it in stages as you strip it down, clean down then regrease the splines, check the two electrical brushes inside,for wear and location, then put it all back together, referring to phone camera pics if need be, but it would help you more if you had a workshop manual for it mind.

downloaded a '99 manual but it seemed to tell me all i needed to know :) waited for my mate to leave then took the starter motor off myself, stripped it down and put it back together. relieved to say crunching noise has gone but we're back to the original issue :(

i'm still trying to work out why it cut out in the first place as this wouldn't(i don't think) be related to the starter motor. i can only think the battery was draining somehow or, and really hoping this is it, the carb and air filter need a good clean :unsure:

or, and really hoping this is it, the carb and air filter need a good clean :unsure:

Aye that'd help, but doubt that's your problem, mind. plus check the wiring from the flywheel/magneto, possibly going to the cdi, see if broken or trapped maybe?

Aye that'd help, but doubt that's your problem, mind. plus check the wiring from the flywheel/magneto, possibly going to the cdi, see if broken or trapped maybe?

i've just been out to try bump start it down a small hill but it just made this clicking sound and have no idea what that is :huh:

Sounds like your battery is fooked.

When it cut out on your spin,,,,,,,what happened ??? Was it a fuel issue or electrical do you think ?

Clicking noise is lack of power from battery to the starter.

Its probably one of them bikes that wont do anything unless the battery is good.

Try a new or known good battery

i've just been out to try bump start it down a small hill but it just made this clicking sound and have no idea what that is :huh:

You really need to pinpoint this clicking, if it's the starter then its drained battery, and then on to magneto/wiring not getting charge to battery. if relay, then replace relay, it's more than likely buggered ;) but if relay buggered starter won't turn, and battery won't drain cos engine not running, unless you have an immobiliser built in?

was definitely an electrical issue when it cut out, literally filled it up 10 miles or so before. so i reckon you're right with the battery. i know for sure the starter motor is turning, i can feel it. I'll charge the battery up again tomorrow, try the bump start if that doesn't work then i guess it will be new battery. fingers crossed! ;)

was definitely an electrical issue when it cut out, literally filled it up 10 miles or so before. so i reckon you're right with the battery. i know for sure the starter motor is turning, i can feel it. I'll charge the battery up again tomorrow, try the bump start if that doesn't work then i guess it will be new battery. fingers crossed! ;)

Ok, try charging battery again although it might not hold a charge.

After charging, check it to see if its near 12volts

Then if ya get it started, check it again with a few revs on,,,,,,should go up to nearly 14volts.

Well know more from then on m8.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online