Air Cooled vs. Liquid Cooled

Chris Peltz
This post is 4819 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am looking to buy my first bike, looking at the V Star 650, the Suzuki Boulevard, and the Honda Shadow. A number of folks have recommended not going with the V Star because it is air-cooled and prone to over-heating. I'm surprised that that they are one of the only manufacturers with air-cooled engines, and wanted to understand the reason better. Are there really issues with air-cooled, or are the differences negligible?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am looking to buy my first bike, looking at the V Star 650, the Suzuki Boulevard, and the Honda Shadow. A number of folks have recommended not going with the V Star because it is air-cooled and prone to over-heating. I'm surprised that that they are one of the only manufacturers with air-cooled engines, and wanted to understand the reason better. Are there really issues with air-cooled, or are the differences negligible?

You normally have bigger problems with water cooled bikes, if an aircooled bike overheats then it normally overheats the carbs too and the whole lot shuts down till the temperature drops.

That is in the extreem, why not ask any of the experts when they last actually experienced first hand an aircooled m/c engine overheat, 99% of the time it will be owner abuse, or neglect. The aircooled bike has no water pumps to fail, no seals,hoses,rads.

When they are in traffic they all suffer, not all bikes have cooling fans, my TDR certanly doesent so that is at a dissadvantage due to the engine not being able to shed enough heat on its own. A good aircooled engine should idle indefinately.

There are 2 benefits to the cooling system,

1 closer engineering tolerances, the aircooled motors have more expansion built in to allow for the heat generated. The poroblem there is that means bearings are not as tight, pistons, rings etc are not as snug and hot spots cannot be so easily controlled (like Suzuki deliberately cooling the bottom of the exhaust port to prevent detonation on the RG) so the aircooled engine will generate less power as a result.

2 Noise, the water jacket around an engine keeps it quiet.

Other than those main benefits, realisticly water cooling just adds weight and complexity. There are fringe benefits like carb heating but the main point is air cooled, water cooled makes no odds.

Maintanance and riding the bike within its mechanical limits (unless its a Z250) kills far more motorcycles ( ask any teenager).

50 or so years of engine design, admittedly with some hiccups. I wouldn't worry about air-cooled unless you live in a hot climate.

50 or so years of engine design, admittedly with some hiccups. I wouldn't worry about air-cooled unless you live in a hot climate.

I live in Northern Colorado. By some standards, it's a hot climate area, but not compared to Arizona or Nevada.

I live in Northern Colorado. By some standards, it's a hot climate area, but not compared to Arizona or Nevada.

Never been to Colorado but I have been to Nevada which was quite hot. We did have a member here a while ago who lived in Vegas and he had an old aircooled DT. I would still say, not an issue.

Cant see it being a problem. My 97 Virago was imported from Colorado and its in mint nick and viragos sold by the shed load in the states, all air cooled.

Ive lived in QLD Australia with air cooled and water cooled. GPz 750 and Gpz 1000RX both lovely bikes both water cooled both a pain in the arse to work on. Yep. get em hot they bleed coolant everywhere, as its been stated more stuff and weight ( tho the fj is 250 kg dry)... every service i did? remove thermostat drain radiator , flush radiator, dick around worrying about split hoses, have to top up coolant , buy more coolant and oil , ended up taking a split of the fan relay and putting in an overide switch to keep the fan on when i wanted, still overheats in traffic but not as bad..... both died a horrible death and left me a bit sad...( GPz 750 ate the bottom end.... 1000 RX snapped inlet cam in 2... still rode it another 10 k before it just went nup... no more...)

NOW!!! the fj. summer in brisbane is bloody hot.... gets up over 30 deg c a lot, . no problems... you learn to get in the airflow, slip into neutral when stopped, sit behind cars a bit further back and a bit wide to try and get air over the engine.... but... look.

the fj has 25% loss on EACH CYLINDER. it needs new rings , primary chain, possible valve stem seals and maybe one or two of my shims is a bit rattly.

every morning it goes. kick it in the guts and she fires up and goes. and for a 25 yr old bike she s still got a lot of get up and gone ...( 248 is the top but shhhhhh...)

if the Gpz's had a problem. nup, you just wouldnt. Either wouldnt fire or you would look at it and go nahhh it will just break... finer tolerances, more stuff to go wrong. Keep it simple.

i love air cooleds now im a full convert, there is less dram and you just ride accordingly, and when it gets hot?. stop. have a drink your probably hot too! yes we are water cooled and look at the issues we have!!!

just my (long winded) 2c

copyoulater

neil

If your after high performance go for liquid cooled or if your just after the ride go air cooled, in a hot climate both will overheat at some point although with the air cooled you prob wont notice it.

Ive lived in QLD Australia with air cooled and water cooled. GPz 750 and Gpz 1000RX both lovely bikes both water cooled both a pain in the arse to work on. Yep. get em hot they bleed coolant everywhere, as its been stated more stuff and weight ( tho the fj is 250 kg dry)... every service i did? remove thermostat drain radiator , flush radiator, dick around worrying about split hoses, have to top up coolant , buy more coolant and oil , ended up taking a split of the fan relay and putting in an overide switch to keep the fan on when i wanted, still overheats in traffic but not as bad..... both died a horrible death and left me a bit sad...( GPz 750 ate the bottom end.... 1000 RX snapped inlet cam in 2... still rode it another 10 k before it just went nup... no more...)

NOW!!! the fj. summer in brisbane is bloody hot.... gets up over 30 deg c a lot, . no problems... you learn to get in the airflow, slip into neutral when stopped, sit behind cars a bit further back and a bit wide to try and get air over the engine.... but... look.

the fj has 25% loss on EACH CYLINDER. it needs new rings , primary chain, possible valve stem seals and maybe one or two of my shims is a bit rattly.

every morning it goes. kick it in the guts and she fires up and goes. and for a 25 yr old bike she s still got a lot of get up and gone ...( 248 is the top but shhhhhh...)

if the Gpz's had a problem. nup, you just wouldnt. Either wouldnt fire or you would look at it and go nahhh it will just break... finer tolerances, more stuff to go wrong. Keep it simple.

i love air cooleds now im a full convert, there is less dram and you just ride accordingly, and when it gets hot?. stop. have a drink your probably hot too! yes we are water cooled and look at the issues we have!!!

just my (long winded) 2c

copyoulater

neil

Great post :thumb:...do you ride in tee shirt & shorts?

Great post :thumb:...do you ride in tee shirt & shorts?

HELL NO!!!! lol did it once....lol singlet and jeans.... sunburnt to all get out!! besides i have come off a few times...( slid sideways into a car... long story... popped off the bike and onto the roof of the car and rolled over the back.... wriggle toes and fingers... ok.. im good got up and opened the car door..." we need to change details dont we ?" says i.... poor fellas eyes were as big as saucers.... picked the bike up ( my beloved srx 250) broken levers etc but rode it home.... he called me 4 times " are you SURE your ok?" yeah mate all good....bit of skin off the elbow... was wearing shorts tshirt and slip on shoes... that taught me i was lucky... full gear now, jackets pants gloves boots helmet of course!!... I like the body im in and dont want "modifications"

chuckles

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online