Yamaha dt 125 engine upgrade

ujku 80
This post is 4720 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there ppl.

got a dt125 made in 89 and im sure i will want to upgrade in the near future. dont feel like reboring so im looking for an alternative engine 250cc or more to fit the frame. anyone ever tried doin this and what engine have you used. all input is welcome and thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never bothered unles it is a simple swap like RD250 to 350 just swapping barrels, but anything is possible there is a FS1e with a RD400 engine in around and one with a 350 ypvs in it,

but at the end of the day you will get stung for insurance and all the messing around it will be cheaper just too sell it and get the bigger bike unless you are a glutton for punishment.

One of the lads on the RD forum got a silly insurance quote the other day because his RD 200 Had a 125 engine in it insurance companies do not like modified things

Thanks for the not so good news Mervin :). Not 2 worried about the insurance as might end up using the bike abroad, its just that i have spent far 2 much money on restoring the bike and im very happy with the result, it seems there is plenty of room in the frame to fit a bigger engine and i was thinking there must be one that will fit with no or little modification.