XJ 600 will not start

Born Again
This post is 4828 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm new to this site but I'm hoping someone on here can help me.

I got a 1990 pre-diversion XJ600 a few months ago and it ran fine for a month and then one morning just wouldn't start. It was running OK the evening before but that was it the next morning.

It turned over & over until the battery was nearly flat. Recharged it over night and tried again but no good.

A friend looked over the electrics and said it was the CDI as all else looked ok except there was no spark. £90 later for another CDI and still no go! (That will be on Ebay when I get the bike going again!!)

I'm now working my way through the Haynes manual of reasons for not starting and would like some help. I'm no mechanic, just a born again rider so please don't think I will be offended by very simple suggestions - except: is the stand down or the kill switch off! Its more the electrical wording that is doing my head in!

I have found this:

Ignition Coil Primary Resistance: 2.2 Ohms (book says 1.8 to 2.2)

Ignition coil secondary resistance: 32 k Ohms (book says 9.6 to 14.4 K Ohms) May be a prob or me not testing right bit.

Pickup Coil should be 81 to 121 ohms - what the? What are pickup coils and how do I test them? This is one thing that a couple of bikers have said could be the problem.

Any hints or tips or just Haynes translation are very welcome.

Cheers

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A hello in the proper area of the newbs section would be a good start. You have posted this twice, both in the wrong places, and haven't bothered to say hello to us.

Post a hello in the proper part of the newbs and then put this in the workshop are (bottom part of the first page) and I am sure people will come along to help.

Cheers.

pick up coils are to do with the generation of electricity, they will be found ( usually) on the LH side of the bike. essentially they are 2 magnets held in brackets roughly 180 degrees to each other. kinda like points ( but with out the fiddly crap) the pickups sit on the outside edge of a disc , the disc spins with the bottom end,images.jpg you can see the disc separate ...behind bolt number 3 bottom rh corner.... as the disc spins, it has a raised lip which passes juuust in front of the magnet. this distance you can set and move...( GPz 900r was .5 mm) but i have found they either dont need it or that really isnt the problem. theres not much too em.... i hope this helps thats about as much as i know..... if your not measuring incorrectly that resistance does seem a bit high.... "Ignition coil secondary resistance: 32 k Ohms (book says 9.6 to 14.4 K Ohms) May be a prob or me not testing right bit...." hopefully someone else has some more info.

Hi " make shure the Cdi has a good earth, . clean surface, coz it looks like everything else is working,,;)

Sorry for putting it in the wrong place! I'll have a look at how to move it or delete and start again in the right place when I get a chance.

Cheers for the couple of replies so far though.

I've had the RH case off and can see the copper coils, its just what to do about it now. :unsure:

Cheers

Andy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online