New member / DT175 1979 problems

This post is 4834 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello to everyone,

My name is Nick and live in West London. I have been riding bikes of all types since 1978 and have just purchased a DT175 for a trip down 'memory lane'.

Because of this purchase I figured I would join this forum for some like-minded people and some helpful advice.

The little Yam was registered in 1979 and has a tubular monoshock swingarm not the box-section item - does that make it an 'E' or an MX?

The previous owner did some restoration/overhaul work; rebore, new headlamp, some new wiring, taper head bearings/wheel bearings, spark plug, engine oil, fork oil, clutch cable, new inner tubes etc. I will put a picture of it on here soon. I intend to strip it down and shot blast/powder coat the frame and swingarm, find original blue mudguards, tail light and get the tank resprayed.

The bike presented me with 2 problems on the ride home to its new residence;

1) Performance was not good between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle opening - this manifested itself in rough and hesitant power delivery. Pottering along very slowly it was lovely and when I gave it full acceleration it was also fine, anything in between is not very pleasant. Anybody any ideas?

2) On arriving home I kick-started the bike and the kick start will not return to its normal resting place unless i pull it back by hand or foot. I suspect the return spring has broken - anyone know any better?

Any help is most welcome and hopefully I will be able to assist other members on here in the future.

Cheers

Nick

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes plenty of 'strokers' on here........ :blink:

Welcome

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online