Eletrical problem

This post is 4830 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi my name is chris I Hav a 1986 FZ700 the has a short int the wiring harness somewhere all I know is I changed the starter switch cause it was hot in the plug in and the problem went away for a few hours now its back you can start the bike by jumpin the starter relay and the key does not work you can turn it on and off and it don't make a bit of difference the only way it'll shut off is the run and off switch on the bars ???? Any ideas wat it might be would be great

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would check all of the wiring, in sections. Get hold of a multimeter - screwfix do them cheap - and test the starter circuit for continuity. So the low power stuff, from the ignition switch to to the start button and to the relay. Then the high power stuff from the batter to the relay to the starter motor. Because of how a bikes wiring is routed, problems often occur around the steering yoke area and can be intermittent depending on the position of the bars, on full lock for example. Also check and clean the powered (+ve) part of the circuit. Check, and clean, all of the block and bullet connectors. Sounds like one of two things; a bad earth or something is earthing out or; a bad connection on the live side. Both commonly generate a lot of heat. Starter circuit shorting can cause fires.

So would that cause the head lights and tails to stay on even with the key off ???

Possibly. It sound like the ignition is shorting out and is permanently live. At a guess.

You really need to look down the main page and post the problem there. This area is for hellos.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online