Modifications

clarke
This post is 4556 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What is a "modification"?? I was looking on one comparison website and they list a Scotoiler as a modification. :blink: I always thought it was things like new exhausts/risers/handlebars/bored engines etc.

They also ask has it been modified from manufacturers original specs so if they bike comes with "free accessories" then I guess that counts too. Does my aftermarket tax disc holder also count??

As for my Fazer - its 10 years old... I have no idea if it's been modified from manufacturers original specs, the bloke that sold it to me didn't say it was but he didn't say it wasn't either???

Why can't they just say unless its increasing BHP etc then list your mods, value the bike with accessories and be done with it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

cause there.....um.......gay?

i know my insurance company dont care what mods you have done as long as the performance isnt enhanced in anyway

What is a "modification"??

Different for all insurers. That is where the "comparisons" are limited. I use them for a guide then pick up the phone whith the quote in hand.

I have declared things like the heated grips, double bubble screen and crash bungs on the SV. The reason was the way the question was worded.

I have given a list of mods but the only one of interest to them was the exhaust. Normal questioning went some thing like this;

Them "Does it affect performance?"

Me " I don't know I am not an engineers"

Them "What is the value?"

Me "£380"

Them "I will just talk to the underwriter"

2 minutes pass

Them "That isn't a problem but we will increase the value of the bike and the insurance will be repairs back to standard specification. Is that OK?"

Me " Why would you want to repair the bike with an OEM part that costs £700 when you can get a different silencer for £380?"

Me "Don't worry, thats fine"

The simple thing is, if the bike gets damaged I know that the repairer has £700 and I will tell them what exhaust I want.

Thinking about insurance, the SV costs about £100 a year fully comp for a value of £2500 maximum payout. That is a 25 year break even risk. I would guess all of the young riders are supplementing my premiums, so thanks guys ;)

When I bought my bike new, the dealer said I didn't need to tell my insurance of the "free" extras such as windshield/passing lamps etc (only any performance mods) but I should insure the bike to the value of the bike + accessories... I thought about this as I assumed the dealer knew what he was on about. Maybe at my renewal I'll see what they say...

I did tell them of my restrictor kit so they charged me an additional £300 for reducing the bikes power :blink:

When I took it off I phoned them to say no longer restricted and they said it makes no difference to us we don't charge anything extra for restriction kits - I said you charged me an extra £300 but never got it back - robbing gits! :angry:

When I bought my bike new, the dealer said I didn't need to tell my insurance of the "free" extras such as windshield/passing lamps etc (only any performance mods) but I should insure the bike to the value of the bike + accessories... I thought about this as I assumed the dealer knew what he was on about. Maybe at my renewal I'll see what they say...

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. As an example, you buy a bike for £5k and fit £2k of luggage and pipe to it. The bike stands you in at £7k. The "book" value of the bike is £5k. You haven't told the insurers about the pipe or luggage as someone said you didn't need to. The worst happens and your bike gets nicked. You phone the insurers and, after weeks of them trying to rip you off as you want to claim for the extras and they say that validates the insurance, they say, OK we will pay out and send you a cheque for £5k, which is the book value.

I did tell them of my restrictor kit so they charged me an additional £300 for reducing the bikes power :blink:

This might be for an admin fee and to supply and fit restrictors should they need replacing due to damage or theft.

Anything is a modification, how picky the insurer is pretty much follows as to how expensive the premium is.

Example, your bike comes on Bridgestone Tyres hypothetically. You tell the dealer you don't like em and have dunlops fitted. There you are insurance get out, deviation from manufacturers spec.

Absoloutly everything and i mean everything that is not as per the std manufacturers discription as supplied to the insurance industry for assesment will be deemed a modification. Dealer extras/ luggage/ lighting the lot.

Anything is a modification, how picky the insurer is pretty much follows as to how expensive the premium is.

Example, your bike comes on Bridgestone Tyres hypothetically. You tell the dealer you don't like em and have dunlops fitted. There you are insurance get out, deviation from manufacturers spec.

Absoloutly everything and i mean everything that is not as per the std manufacturers discription as supplied to the insurance industry for assesment will be deemed a modification. Dealer extras/ luggage/ lighting the lot.

thats me fooked then :blink:

• 2 months later...

got me tracker insured on the classic policy for an extra £39 till march next year. the only sticking point was the hand made tank and whether it had expensive paint job on it. weren't interested in the r1 brakes and disk! said is was an "improvement" (which I agree)

What about the big nut on the seat? :eusa_shifty:

Oh by the way Drewps does your classic insurance also cover you for the Agreed Value Policy?, mines a couple of years offf the Classic policy, but I am after finding a company that does the AVP.

Cheers Nev

Edited by NEV

What about the big nut on the seat? :eusa_shifty:

Oh by the way Drewps does your classic insurance also cover you for the Agreed Value Policy?, mines a couple of years offf the Classic policy, but I am after finding a company that does the AVP.

Cheers Nev

got agreed value on the resto xs400, just needed to take 4 pictures of various angles and send them off. Always keep reciepts, I got my office assistant at the time to photocopy them all and I sent them off.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to reply to this question. I have another question. If I put K&N filter on a stock engine do I need to rejet or move the clip on the needle? I did motorcycle repair and salvage from 1975-2000 so I do know motorcycles, and have built many. Also if I do have to rejet, do the jet sizes go like from 130 to 132.5 or do they go from 130 to 135 I am talking mainjets here not pilot or starter jets.

I also have a DT125 1978 for parts if anyone is interested. Just email me.

Thanks for your time... Dave

got agreed value on the resto xs400, just needed to take 4 pictures of various angles and send them off. Always keep reciepts, I got my office assistant at the time to photocopy them all and I sent them off.

Btw Drewps who did you go with for the xs400? as I am at the ringing round for AVP quotes stage, this week.

Btw Drewps who did you go with for the xs400? as I am at the ringing round for AVP quotes stage, this week.

Carol Nash, been with them for 6 years now. I shop around every year and will always match a lower priced quote

ive found Carol Nash to be absolutely terrible!, Swinton seem to be good, Bennets arent very good for me and have a nasty habit of adding "auto renewal" onto your policy, so when your renewal comes up they slap on another £200 and dont bother telling you about it... cheers bennets...

could have insured my XJ600 for £125 this year, but the company i went with needed to see proof of restriction, however swinton dont ask for proof of restriction so i ended up going with them

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online