Yamaha XT 125 X Brakelight switch -- HELP

AndyAdamson
This post is 4691 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, Recently bought a Yamaha xt125x but it has a broken break light switch of some sort.

I've never owned a motorbike before so this is my first 125 running on L Plates with CBT. I have very little technical knolledge on the bike so i'm asking the pro's.

The component im talking about appears to be a switch for the brake light. it is the component that connects to the brake leaver and had a blue and red wire connection to it. the switch has a sort of pin device that when pushed in turns on and off the light. the thread that screws into the leaver has snapped making the light remain on always. i've searched around and most results are diffrent to what i need. does anyone have any advice/help for me. the component name, and places i can buy would be great.

Thanks, Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Firstly I suggest you read this LINKY

Then I would determine if the switch or the bolt is broken. If the switch still operates using your fingers then it seems like it is the mounting bolt. You need to get this out first. If you can not get it out you may need to replace the part that it is screwed into. If the switch doesn't work with your fingers and the mounting bolt is OK you need to get and fit a new switch. It will be the front brake light switch for your model bike and year. Call Granby's LINKY and tell them what you need, pay and they will post it to you.

The bike should have 2 brake light switches, one in the front brake switch (which is what you seem to have a problem with, and there will be a rear brake light switch connected by a spring to the rear brake pedal. By disconnecting the wires to the front switch the rear brake light switch will do all of the work (if applied) and the brake light will appear to work properly. This will get you out of a situation where you may need to ride the bike to a safe area without the light being constantly on. It will not pass an MOT without the 2 switches working and it will be not compliant with the legal regulations however people have ridden their bikes like this. I am not suggesting you do this nor am I advocating that you ride the bike until properly fixed.

Thanks for the reply, and yes, the brake light does operate with my fingers when pressing the switch down. it is purely the fixing that is broken. the screw-in thread that mounts the switch to the brake leaver has snapped, meaning the switch is no longer connected / touching the break leaver atall leaving it on. Would it be easier to buy a knew switch, since the thread has snapped off in the leaver, i managed to get it out but i damaged the threads further i doubt i could glue it and stick it back in. --- edit, Bolt?? the switch and screw in thread are as one component, the switch is screwed into the leaver and this is what has snapped.

No. Buying a new switch will not cure the problem as the switch is working. Do you have a bolt that will fit in where the old bolt was or is the thread on the lever too far gone?

The damaged thread is probably not on the lever but on the mounting bracket. If it is too far gone you will need to change that. Not a cheap option. I would not use glue.

Is it anything like this LINKY

It looks like this IMAGEHowever it is made of plastic not metal like you see here. now were you see the screw in thread with the switch/ button is the little black pin. this screw thread is completely snapped of. gone. destroyed. kippo. there is no way whatsoever of mounting the switch back onto the leaver. and this has been my problem. i've been looking for a new replacement part but i can't find it. hence why im posting for urgent support on the forum.

Granbys will have one or be able to order one. What year is the bike?

It's an 09 XT125X. i should of got an image in the first place. to help describe what i was saying. I've just got no clue to be honest what im really talking about. it took me long enough to even realize it was a break light switch, lol :/

So like this? LINKY

I suggest you go into your local Yami dealer, tell them you need a front brake light switch for the XT125 x '09 and they should be able to bring a picture of what you need on the computer. I would guess £15 to £20.

YES! That part is almost identical other than the switch itself being green and not black. thanks a lot man, appreciate your help =) i'll buy this part now. Once again thanks for your help. =)

No problems.

If you want to hang around the forum go to the newbie section and say hello.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online