Where to keep my bike - Panick

Julian-Liverpool
This post is 4767 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, Wanting to buy my first ever bike, will be a dragstar but the only place for me to keep my bike is on the road outside my home (possible on pavement bolted to wall) Its a wide path.

This worries me a little as I think about passers by wanting to sit on my new baby, possible theft and anything else that could happen to my bike.

What do you guys do, I'm assuming not everyone has a garden etc.

The issue of keeping my bike safe outside my place is a real concern and can put me off buying one :-(

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So, Wanting to buy my first ever bike, will be a dragstar but the only place for me to keep my bike is on the road outside my home (possible on pavement bolted to wall) Its a wide path.

This worries me a little as I think about passers by wanting to sit on my new baby, possible theft and anything else that could happen to my bike.

What do you guys do, I'm assuming not everyone has a garden etc.

The issue of keeping my bike safe outside my place is a real concern and can put me off buying one :-(

Thanks

Julian, isn't there some old dear up the road, or near to you, that you could befriend? with an empty garage, whereas you could bung her a few bob a week to rent off her? or maybe even just a driveway?(you'd probably need to buy a bike cover) You'd be doing each other a favour, as you'd have somewhere to put your bike safe, and she'd have a motorbike on her driveway, therefore making any potential burglers, into thinking that there's somebone living at the house, that is fit and young enough to ride a bike, and not some poor defenceless 80 year old,therefore capable of putting up a fight if broken into, hopefully this would most likely act as a deterrant, as most thieves and burglers are spineless b*stards, who would run away at, the first instance of any confrontation ;)

Just a thought.Nev

I lived like this for years, bike out on the road.

Chain it, disclock it, get an alarm if you can, but most importantly = get a bike cover.

That will disuade most people from bothering - Can't be tempted to sit if it's a shapeless mass.

Thanks lads

No chance of befriending a little old woman near me (Been trying that for years, but in the guise of becoming a toy boy :-)))

I have been eying up the lampost a few doors away from me to chain my new toy to, It could be that.

To be honest, I could have kept it in my back, but we now have gates at all exits (which is great for security) But these are now collection points for wheelie bins, having to move these every morning and night is putting me off... I will see if I can do more with this first

Thanks again

Aay Aay Larrrr,

I'm sorry to be the voice of doom, but I would forget the pavement if I were you. Firstly, the council won't be at all happy with you parking on the path, and there is a very real possibility of somewone 'hurting' themselves on you're illegally parked motorcycle and as you know, 'where there's blame, there's a claim'.

Parking it on the road is not ideal, but many, many people do just that with no, or little problem, so don't let it put you off.

Would it be at all possible to park it inside the house? A ramp could be fashioned and the bike left in the hall?It might sound like a ludicrous idea, but again many people live with a bike in the house, I'm lucky enough to have garaging but still have been known to have a bike in bits in the kitchen.

If you're only choice is to keep it on the roadside, a good quality cover and a lock and chain will keep both prying eyes and the weather off your new machine. I have often thought about a spiked plate inserted halfway along the chain, so that when the bike is locked through the frame and rear wheel, the spiked plate would rest on the saddle thus detering anyone from sitting on the bike. The spikes don't have to be too extreme to encourage someone to resist the urge, and therefore shouldn't cause you any trouble from the Bizzies.

Don't let this small hurdle put you off buying what you obviously want, remember.....people ride bikes with arms and legs missing, you've only got to find somewhere to park.

Good luck, and remeber to post the pictures when you get it.

Thanks Leath

Keeping the bike in the house ...... Hummmmmmm I'd have to move the drugs, stolen car stereo's, hub caps and many many shell suits.

I have been out along the backs this morning and found that it will be fine keeping it there I think, so problem almost solved

Thanks everyone

Camera at the ready :=)

:lol: Hub caps....theres a blast from the past! :lol:

Moving all the moody gear.......a perenial problem for the Liverpudlian, don't worry too much though, it won't be long before some scrote from Bristol on a day trip breaks in an steals it all from you :lol:

I can look after it for you! All you need to do is keep sending the petrol money (in a plain envelope please). I will send you a photo each year just to show how it is getting on.

Seriously I would park it by the road. I had to do this a while ago. It did get knocked over and then reversed over once. If you can chain it to a lamppost, so much the better.

Dont be lazy,,,,move the bins and put it behind your house, behind the locked gates, away from watchfull eyes