i think xs 250 has beaten me

Jeremiah+Josh
This post is 4678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I am very frustrated but i do see the funny side of this ...

well i have built rebuilt a few bikes ever but this f****** is taken me to hell well two of em now cos i bought another

will not run proper nor will the other

will start on one cylinder then other wont run ...

ahh you say .... no I say cos it could start on the opposite then the one that was running previously wont run

so far checked points gap good timed and retimed and some more then fitten new conatcts timed timed again

coils tried loads of different coils

new condeser

so i figured it the engine

so i buy another basket case xs250

swap engine

same thing

contacts timed retimed take off check advance all good

time retime check time a again

Carbs been to cleaned with ultra sound

have two other sets of carbs that do the same thing

go figure

as i type son is changing the exhaust system

with air filters on it will not start at all

take filters off and block pipes and she makes an effort ....

thats the only significent data i can present

HAS any One please got any ideas at all

Jez

going Mad

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well jermiah " you"l be the only thing an XS250 has ever beaten , :D ,,,,,, On a positive side Drewpy , the Y.O.C. Xs wizard will Be along with some suggestions, sounds like you"v covered everythin tho :unsure:

I'm here...

well what do you mean by not running proper? that could mean anything :blink:

if you can described exactly what the bike is doing/sounding and revs etc i will be able to help you!

100psi is not good, its usually 140 psi

the xs's are bloody funny with carbs, if they are not really really clean, and I mean stripped down and ALL orifices blown through and clear you will have issues. float height need to be spot on (26mm)

checked your idle mix tips? bet they are broken off in the carb body (lucky if not)

Hi

Bit more "un-frustrated" this morning

late last night after posting we did notice that when she tried to start on the right it was not as strong as when she tried to start on the left

we swapped coils and got same result so i tried another coil on right .. and now it does try and start on both cylinders

Current status tries to start on both cylinders

sound

possibly missing wont respond to throttle best its run for with out starter turning is about 5 secs

to start last night i had to remove air-box and block/restrict intakes once firing a bit i put air-boxes it the would continue to start ...choke on to start after a while it doesn't like it but still wont start ..

Carbs they have been ultra sonicily cleaned ... it made little or no difference

i have 2 other sets of carb's they have the same result ... same symptoms

I have put a new condenser on made no diff

Points I have gapped and timed using a light bulb timed to the first mark after LF ... I will say that i found this a bastard of a job as the timing wondered as re-tightening screws

but they seem to be on the mark now

I am thinking of the fag paper method but the hassle last time to get them spot on is putting me off

atu bob weights seem too be free

TODAY i will try

putting old condenser back on

some original exhausts

and brand new coils if they arrive in the post

Jez

Kill it! Kill it with fire! Then pour Holy Water on the ashes.

I had an XS250 for just under a year many moons ago - I still get nightmares ...

Safe to say it wasn't Yamaha's finest hour .....

tried other carbs back to one cylinder (right) unable to get left firing so took carbs off cleaned left one blew out pilot jets and airways examined needles (tips look to be there) set them at three turns out from full in

now nothing will fire yes .. it has spark ...

i have restored bsa's that people pulled apart in the fiftys and left outside ... and a sr500 that lay in a hedge for twenty years ... this pile of **** defies all logic

tried other carbs back to one cylinder (right) unable to get left firing so took carbs off cleaned left one blew out pilot jets and airways examined needles (tips look to be there) set them at three turns out from full in

now nothing will fire yes .. it has spark ...

i have restored bsa's that people pulled apart in the fiftys and left outside ... and a sr500 that lay in a hedge for twenty years ... this pile of **** defies all logic

vacuum barbs on manifold still got its cap on and the pipe to the pet cap ok?

yeah 1 has cap other goes to petcock

whilst turning engine over with petcock in postion on or reserve petrol comes out prime just dumps fuel

so all ok and fuel cap open closed make no difference

i have even tried swapping cap and line about ... from one intake rubber t' other

re done compression test ... its not a very great tester its a cheapo am-tech i have borrowed and its hard to deduce the fast flickering needle but its hitting 125 psi as best i can see ...

Jez

Hi

Bit more "un-frustrated" this morning

late last night after posting we did notice that when she tried to start on the right it was not as strong as when she tried to start on the left

we swapped coils and got same result so i tried another coil on right .. and now it does try and start on both cylinders

Current status tries to start on both cylinders

sound

possibly missing wont respond to throttle best its run for with out starter turning is about 5 secs

to start last night i had to remove air-box and block/restrict intakes once firing a bit i put air-boxes it the would continue to start ...choke on to start after a while it doesn't like it but still wont start ..

Carbs they have been ultra sonicily cleaned ... it made little or no difference

i have 2 other sets of carb's they have the same result ... same symptoms

I have put a new condenser on made no diff

Points I have gapped and timed using a light bulb timed to the first mark after LF ... I will say that i found this a bastard of a job as the timing wondered as re-tightening screws

but they seem to be on the mark now

I am thinking of the fag paper method but the hassle last time to get them spot on is putting me off

atu bob weights seem too be free

TODAY i will try

putting old condenser back on

some original exhausts

and brand new coils if they arrive in the post

Jez

hmm had loads of XS250's do this with various causes

from the training I received in the early 80's I'll give you the diagnosis path

Compression check wet/dry

out of spec

Remove Cylinder head check valves for leakage

check bores pistons & rings for wear

in spec

adjust valve clearances to the correct values

set the dwell angle to 22.5 %

set the ignition timing (with strobe) to LF (left cylinder) RF (right cylinder)

Always start with the L/H cylinder when sat on the bike

Ignition timing & dwell are set at the same time you may set the dwell correct then adjust the timing which will then set the dwell to an incorrect value.... reset the dwell then recheck the timing keep doing this until you have the dwell and timing right

check the advance for both cylinders (between the | | marks)

adjust the mixture screws for a steady idle (some engines require the mixture screws to be set well away from the default 1.5 turns out)

check/adjust carb balance

Still running badly

check inlet manifolds for leakage the rubber o ring within the paper gasket can fail (you will see the 'gas track' across the paper section of the gasket)

if OK

check the diaphrams for splits. with a diaphram split this can give you a false reading when balancing the carbs so if you have a split you will have to do a re balance

if this doesn't fix it post up again

hmm had loads of XS250's do this with various causes

from the training I received in the early 80's I'll give you the diagnosis path

Compression check wet/dry

out of spec

Remove Cylinder head check valves for leakage

check bores pistons & rings for wear

in spec

adjust valve clearances to the correct values

set the dwell angle to 22.5 %

set the ignition timing (with strobe) to LF (left cylinder) RF (right cylinder)

Always start with the L/H cylinder when sat on the bike

Ignition timing & dwell are set at the same time you may set the dwell correct then adjust the timing which will then set the dwell to an incorrect value.... reset the dwell then recheck the timing keep doing this until you have the dwell and timing right

check the advance for both cylinders (between the | | marks)

adjust the mixture screws for a steady idle (some engines require the mixture screws to be set well away from the default 1.5 turns out)

check/adjust carb balance

Still running badly

check inlet manifolds for leakage the rubber o ring within the paper gasket can fail (you will see the 'gas track' across the paper section of the gasket)

if OK

check the diaphrams for splits. with a diaphram split this can give you a false reading when balancing the carbs so if you have a split you will have to do a re balance

if this doesn't fix it post up again

Ok right whats the ?? dwell ?? and whats the compression spec

Thanks for the input

Ok out of intrest today (and the fact i cant seem to leaver the ****** alone

we slapped a mikuni vm34 round slide carb jetted for sr500 single on mr left cylinder no throttle cable just carb

choke fired after three seconds started to splutter & run on one cylinder choke off adjusting throttle stop i managed various degrees of succses and run on one cylinder for around 30 secs

didnt have time after to try right cylinder

carbs stripped again will rebuild next week off for the week end

Jez

Just some of the latest here

Dwell is Points Gap (new one on me) any way that's all good

I chucked a Mikuni vm34 (Jetted for a SR 500) on the left cylinder and with some fiddling it runs well and starts easily it will tick over very nice and not cut out miss or fart at all running one cylinder the plug looks nice too nice tan color

repeated the process on right cylinder all good runs ticks over nice looking plug

so its the CARBS

back too them stripped again blew out pilot holes and set floats (they were previously ultra-sonicly cleaned

back on same shit fires up now on two cylinders wont run for long it is missing and generally running very rough wont respond to throttle

what i have noticed is no matter where i put the mixture screws it makes no differance (I have even removed them) i cant work out where the problem could be

could it be between the float bowls and and main body there is a gasket there that looks very good the tips of the mixture screws look ok under scope

seriously considering getting some 42 mm copper pipe and fabricating a 2:1 manifold

Jez

Dwell is Points Gap (new one on me) any way that's all good

Not quite, dwell is the time the points are closed,so its the opposite.

so its the CARBS

back too them stripped again blew out pilot holes and set floats (they were previously ultra-sonicly cleaned

back on same shit fires up now on two cylinders wont run for long it is missing and generally running very rough wont respond to throttle

what i have noticed is no matter where i put the mixture screws it makes no differance (I have even removed them) i cant work out where the problem could be

told you these carbs are finicky, are you really sure those tips have not broken off, can you see daylight with the carbs off and mix screw out?

the only other thing is the float bowl has a fuel run and it did take me a while to ungunge it using compressed air, solvents etc.

drewps

Not quite, dwell is the time the points are closed,so its the opposite.

Ahh yes sorry when i researched "Dwell" i came away thinking it meant the time closed ... but the smaller the gap the less time closed = less power charged in the coil .. ?????

told you these carbs are finicky, are you really sure those tips have not broken off, can you see daylight with the carbs off and mix screw out?

Yes you did i did believe but cant see how to get them cleaner but it will be somewhere something ... The crux is three sets of carbs with the same or similar symptons . However we now know ignition is tip top .. Personaly when i have a doubt i keep going back.

I looked at mix screw through a jewelers eye piece had blunt end but we concluded that should be the case however ...

Ive only seen old ones

Ill take em off tonight and have a look see for daylight and get back on that one.

the only other thing is the float bowl has a fuel run and it did take me a while to ungunge it using compressed air, solvents etc.

drewps

bowl is deffo ok

but will check again

Thanks for replying

Jez

Ahh yes sorry when i researched "Dwell" i came away thinking it meant the time closed ... but the smaller the gap the less time closed = less power charged in the coil .. ?????

it is the amount of "time" ie degrees angle over the circumference of the shaft the contacts are closed. This charges up the primary coil and when the points open, the electricity has built up so much in there that is inducts into the seconary and through the spark plug jumping the gap.

the more the coils are energised the fatter the spark.

some weird shit tonight

started mixing up carbs

made up a new set slapped em on it was running a treat on the right cylinder

made up a new left no luck

made last left no luck right going well though

split carbs put right carb on left left ran fine put a left carb on left left ran fine ??? put these together no right

put a marked good right on right no right

got totaly mixed up now suspect we burning plugs out

but i think we are close

it is the amount of "time" ie degrees angle over the circumference of the shaft the contacts are closed. This charges up the primary coil and when the points open, the electricity has built up so much in there that is inducts into the seconary and through the spark plug jumping the gap.

the more the coils are energised the fatter the spark.

VERY well put and now easily understandable

I wonder if it is connected to today's anomaly

XS 250 now starts well and ticks over well tick over ATM a little fast but sounds a lot better and it stays alive

it does try and respond to throttle but it ain't great but well .... Hey one thing at a time

Now the plugs that came with the bike(s) all six in fact were set to or near to what it says in the Haynes 0.7 mm

last night i thought i was getting close but all the plugs seemed to need constant attention apart from one when i examined it this morning it had a smaller gap (possibly dropped) i measured it at 0.4 mm set the others to that and hey presto ... intial prob's gone and bike starts and ticks over well..

Is Haynes wrong >>>>AGAIN.. or is there something more sinister ...

Possibly related to dwell ...gap set to smallest in Haynes book 'O' lies 0.3

thanks for the input Drew

look forward to your thoughts

Jez

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online