squeeeeeeaaaaaaak!

trumpetdude
This post is 4845 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

.....is the sound my rear wheel makes when rotated slowley whilst up on the centre stand.

Hey Folks,

I've check the wheel for play as best I can and it appears to be fine but I had just come back from Glasgow so I'll check again tomorrow.

I've had a quick search for this type of sound it mostly points towards a bearing, any thoughts?

If it is the bearing starting to go how far gone is it? I've changed a front bearing before but never attempted a rear. Hope it's not beyond my skills!

Cheers in advance peeps

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok lets start at the beginning it could be a stone /chipping jammed between the brake caliper/pads and disc, check that pronto or it could wear a groove in ya disc if it is that, bearings catch hold of the wheel top and bottom and see if it has any movement, if so it would be fair to say they are shot , replacing rears should not be too much more complicated than fronts, not sure of the set up of your bike but there maybe a bearing in the sprocket carrier as well, i reckon it would be worth replacing that at the same time

Cheers Mervin,

Just had a check and the squeak ain't there anymore! Had a check on the wheel too and there's no play, not that I can feel anyway. The squeak noise definitely came from the left side(drive) spindle / hub area, sound like rubber against a painted area, rubber shoes on varnished floor just prolonged with rotaion of the wheel. The only thing I can think is that maybe a bit of moisture got on the rubbers down there (a bit of a damp humid run back last night) and caused the noise. I'm off to Glasgow again tonight, about a 100 mile round trip, I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Cheers.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online