Insurance, and garaging your bike.

NEV
This post is 4675 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Renewed my insurance on my bike today, and as the girl on the other end was touting the usual twaddle, she mentioned that I had put down that I garaged my bike overnight , as I was hoping that would bring down the policy a tad, but oh no, it's not as straightforward as that, by garaging the bike, the company means literally putting the bike into the garage every time you come home from a ride out, as opposed to parking it out on the road or even up your driveway,during the daytime, after umming and ahhing with her, she quoted me an extra 25 quid on top of the policy, so that it is covered whilst parked at my house, either up the driveway, or out on the front. The £2 extra a month isn't such a big deal, and does give piece of mind, and knowing how insurance companies can wriggle out of paying out claims due to the "small print" hoped that this doesnn't catch anybody else out. ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think you made the right choice NEV. Mine is on my drive and I have a ground anchor and heavy chain I use every night but I just specify the Oxford Nemisis as I carry this around with me and use it in addition to the other security. Last year I mistakenly said the bike was secured by the chain so if the bike had been stolen at work I would have been buggered.

Renewed my insurance on my bike today, and as the girl on the other end was touting the usual twaddle, she mentioned that I had put down that I garaged my bike overnight , as I was hoping that would bring down the policy a tad, but oh no, it's not as straightforward as that, by garaging the bike, the company means literally putting the bike into the garage every time you come home from a ride out, as opposed to parking it out on the road or even up your driveway,during the daytime, after umming and ahhing with her, she quoted me an extra 25 quid on top of the policy, so that it is covered whilst parked at my house, either up the driveway, or out on the front. The £2 extra a month isn't such a big deal, and does give piece of mind, and knowing how insurance companies can wriggle out of paying out claims due to the "small print" hoped that this doesnn't catch anybody else out. ;)

i just got my quote and i was thinking same as you and my insurance said that if it was not garaged beteween the hours of 9pm till 6am while home

it would be classed as an uninsured bike if anything was to happen to the bike

as it was insured to be stored in the garage

i just got my quote and i was thinking same as you and my insurance said that if it was not garaged beteween the hours of 9pm till 6am while home

it would be classed as an uninsured bike if anything was to happen to the bike

as it was insured to be stored in the garage

Aye to be fair Ormer, it's understandable they'll say it's uninsured if they've been told it will be garaged, overnight,even though it's wrong, I mean, who hasn't forgotten to put their bike away, or thought sod it,if it's raining cats and dogs, and you don't want to get a soaking,

what sticks in my craw, is the fact that if it's say 3p.m, in the afternoon, and the bike is outside the house, or on your driveway, and some scrote decides he fancies having it away,you would,nt be insured then.

Aye to be fair Ormer, it's understandable they'll say it's uninsured if they've been told it will be garaged, overnight,even though it's wrong, I mean, who hasn't forgotten to put their bike away, or thought sod it,if it's raining cats and dogs, and you don't want to get a soaking,

what sticks in my craw, is the fact that if it's say 3p.m, in the afternoon, and the bike is outside the house, or on your driveway, and some scrote decides he fancies having it away,you would,nt be insured then.

i dispise all insurance companys,they are just thieving money grabbing b######s,£25 admin charge to swap from one dt 175 to another,a few taps on a keyboard,press enter,£25 thank you very much,didnt even get a new document through post,i remember the day it went on cc size,any bike,parked anywhere,all they want is to extort as much as they can from you and find any excuse not to pay out,rant over.

...............i remember the day it went on cc size,any bike,parked anywhere........................

Ahhhh Norwich Union. Name, Address, Tick up to what cc (in cc bands), Tick TP - TPF&T - Fully Comp. Rip it off a pad and that was your cover note. All done over the counter in the bike shop the day you picked your bike up.

Ahhhh Norwich Union. Name, Address, Tick up to what cc (in cc bands), Tick TP - TPF&T - Fully Comp. Rip it off a pad and that was your cover note. All done over the counter in the bike shop the day you picked your bike up.

Afraid Norwich Union is no more DT mate, well that's what she told me today, apparently it's now Aviva, who I'm insured with. ;)

And Yes yamahait, it is a bleedin rip off when they charge so much for pressing a button, I had to pay £50 odd quid, over the phone today, just to say yes, I wanted to carry on with them as insurers,and carry on with direct debit, for which there is a charge for btw. :angry:

I always put mine in the garage, immediately I get home.

I also shout at the Mrs when she doesn't do the same. We've got it, we should fecking use it and with good reason!!

ahh remember those day's. Any broker did that and when it ran out you got another one.

1 broker did get done for embezzlement as he kept the cash till someone claimed off the (non-exsistant) insurance.

Afraid Norwich Union is no more DT mate, well that's what she told me today, apparently it's now Aviva, who I'm insured with. ;)

And Yes yamahait, it is a bleedin rip off when they charge so much for pressing a button, I had to pay £50 odd quid, over the phone today, just to say yes, I wanted to carry on with them as insurers,and carry on with direct debit, for which there is a charge for btw. :angry:

Really tight margins in insurance at the moment. Not sure about bikes but the average car owner changes their car every 18 months so they know that every other year one insurance company will get the admin fee. It's how it seems to work now.

ahh remember those day's. Any broker did that and when it ran out you got another one.

1 broker did get done for embezzlement as he kept the cash till someone claimed off the (non-exsistant) insurance.

Yep Drewps. I did some work for a warranty insurance company and there was a lot of that going one. The guy would buy a car and take the warranty. The dealer would then pocket the cash in the hope that the punter didn't claim. We changed the process to "online" so that stopped them. Amongst other things, I worked on new Triumph bike warranties..... oh and Lotus and TVR.

I was reading through my policy info and can't see anything about not being insured if the bike is not in my garage(?) I know one of my other policies says I'll be liable for an additional fee if it's stolen from within a certain distance from my house as it's not in the garage (between a certain time of day).

[On a side note, MCE wanted copies of my driving licence and my current mileage so they can check I'm only doing my permitted annual mileage...]

Trust me Clarkgray, if my bike had been stolen from outside my house at 3pm in the afternoon, a couple of days ago, I would have been well and truly f*cked, whereas if it were to happen today, I'd be paid out.That's all I know. ;) and all for the extra cost of 4 packets of fags a year, I'm now a happy chappy :D

................... all for the extra cost of 4 packets of fags a year..........................

Bike or fags............................. Why are all the decisions hard ones? Not sure which one I would have chosen!

Trust me Clarkgray, if my bike had been stolen from outside my house at 3pm in the afternoon, a couple of days ago, I would have been well and truly f*cked, whereas if it were to happen today, I'd be paid out.That's all I know. ;) and all for the extra cost of 4 packets of fags a year, I'm now a happy chappy :D

Makes sense to get the cover for piece of mind... I remember older policies saying 'where is the bike stored overnight', but my latest on says 'where is the bike normally kept'? Slightly different wording but I bet they'd use it as an excuse... I KNOW if I go over the mileage I stated (and I'm betting even by a 100 miles) they'll use it to get out of paying me in the event of an accident...

Graham

Get insured with Carole Nash.

• 1 month later...

Ah the trusty Norwich Union Rider Policy. R.I.P. How she will be missed. I remember this used to run along side the Norwich Union Specified Bike policy. Can you guess which one sold the best? You can thank the police for the removal of the rider policy due to the abuse of the ner do wells. Kind of like the gypos ruining the driving other commercial vehicles extension on the van insurances.

As always, the few ruin it for the many.

Makes sense to get the cover for piece of mind... I remember older policies saying 'where is the bike stored overnight', but my latest on says 'where is the bike normally kept'? Slightly different wording but I bet they'd use it as an excuse... I KNOW if I go over the mileage I stated (and I'm betting even by a 100 miles) they'll use it to get out of paying me in the event of an accident...

Graham

To be honest, in this day of governing bodies, the majority of insurance companies would not wriggle out of a claim for the sake of 100 miles. Those clauses and the like are there again to prevent the pi55 takers from abusing the system. 100 miles over? Who cares but 1000 miles, c'mon. One is a slight mishap when you might have kept going becuase it's a nice day and you kept on riding whereas the other is clearly tick every box that will give you a discount and takes your chances.

Same with the garaging discount. 99% of companies appreciate that the fact that our bikes are not garaged 24 hours a day (apart from NEVs restored DTR, that thing's just too nice to leave the house :) ) so rather than simply saying tough titty, you're not covered, they simply place a higher fire and theft excess on your policy should an incident occur during the hours of such and such.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for the parasites that we know as insurers. It was their treatment of the general public that got me out of the game but I know from experience, the reliable ones won't stick it to you "that" bad.

Ah the trusty Norwich Union Rider Policy. R.I.P.

Ah, that's the joy of sunny Guernsey - I'm still running a rider policy. Any bike, any cc, mine or someone else's, garaged or not, modified or not - £190 p/a Fully Comp!!

:loser::headbang:

Ah, that's the joy of sunny Guernsey - I'm still running a rider policy. Any bike, any cc, mine or someone else's, garaged or not, modified or not - £190 p/a Fully Comp!!

:loser::headbang:

Hold onto that policy my friend, never let her go!!!

Hold onto that policy my friend, never let her go!!!

I don't intend to. The rumours keep flying around that it's going to be phased out, but they've been flying around for years!! I've got my fingers crossed though!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online