Spring Assisted Motorcycle Slider Anyone?

abuckler
This post is 4857 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have been interested in motorcycles for years but it wasn’t until recently that I started looking into purchasing one. My budget is low so I was looking into a totaled bike and fixing it up. I started visiting salvage yards and I noticed that about 50 percent of the bikes had sliders on them but the bikes were still getting damaged. I thought the whole idea of a motorcycle slider was to save your bike. What I believe people over look the fact that by adding a motorcycle slider you are GREATLY increasing the force of the fall onto one point; your slider. So I have designed a spring assisted motorcycle slider. I have researched springs and have found that I am able to mount a 400 pound spring into the slider, which I feel is plenty. I am currently building a drop testing device and have built a prototype slider with a 200 pound spring. Soon I will upload pictures of the prototype and when I’m finished testing I will upload a video of the testing taking place. The prototyped slider diameter is 2 ¾ inches I think I can make the diameter closer to 2 inches. The design is “Patent Pending” but I would love to hear suggestions and comments about the design like the mounting base or the sliding puck holding device. It seems like depending on the bike it needs a spacer or something so the mounting base can be bolted to the frame. Is that correct? Thanks for your time and happy riding.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Edited by drewpy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have been interested in motorcycles for years but it wasn’t until recently that I started looking into purchasing one. My budget is low so I was looking into a totaled bike and fixing it up. I started visiting salvage yards and I noticed that about 50 percent of the bikes had sliders on them but the bikes were still getting damaged. I thought the whole idea of a motorcycle slider was to save your bike. What I believe people over look the fact that by adding a motorcycle slider you are GREATLY increasing the force of the fall onto one point; your slider. So I have designed a spring assisted motorcycle slider. I have researched springs and have found that I am able to mount a 400 pound spring into the slider, which I feel is plenty. I am currently building a drop testing device and have built a prototype slider with a 200 pound spring. Soon I will upload pictures of the prototype and when I’m finished testing I will upload a video of the testing taking place. The prototyped slider diameter is 2 ¾ inches I think I can make the diameter closer to 2 inches. The design is “Patent Pending” but I would love to hear suggestions and comments about the design like the mounting base or the sliding puck holding device. It seems like depending on the bike it needs a spacer or something so the mounting base can be bolted to the frame. Is that correct? Thanks for your time and happy riding.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Abuckler

Hi I like the idea, your point about sliders increasing damage by localising the impact is why I don’t have sliders (crash bungs) on my FJR, the fixing points on my bike would be on the same mounts as the engine so any impact could bend the frame, Spring loading the sliders could help, I think the idea of crash bungs is to lessen the damage if the bike was to fall over or have a low speed tumble, fast speed crashes the damage is made worse because of the impact of whatever the bike has slid into possibly ripping at the crash bungs, you might want to consider allowing the crash bung to be sprung both against the bike and also sprung when pulled from the bike, Do you have a local bike race school or stunting team that could try your bungs out,

Hope it works for you

As cheeky as you are for just posting on the forum and not being ar5ed to post in the newbie section first, I think you have a few fundamental problems with your slider - It isn't really a slider!

Most crash bungs are to stop damage at little or nil speed. If you have any forward momentum then they do tend to tear off, which I am sure yours will do as well as, by that time, the spring will be fully compressed. A slider, I don't think so.

You are correct that a crash bung can cause damage as it may be the first point of impact and therefore focuses the force of impact in one area, normally the frame. Dependant on the bike, and bung manufacturer, some bungs use an engine mounting bolt so that one side of the frame is not taking all of the force.

Maybe I misunderstand but I am assuming that you are saying that the spring will significantly minimise the force of a 400 pound bike falling?

I think we sjould encourage innovation, he would probably know the limitations having gone to the trouble of designing and making something.

It does need testing though, I suggest we start with Dt's SV :lol:

Cheers Drewps :D

Yeah why not.

Send me a set and I will swap them for the R&G's I have on the SV (They were on when I brought it, honest). The current bungs are about 5 inches long which seem to be "the" size for the SV. Can I have them in yellow and I will crash test them for you.......................It's just a matter of time.

I wonder what happens after the crash and you pick the bike up to find the sprung bung flying off, powered by a 400 pound spring, into the path of another motorist? It would be just like a rubber bullet :mellow:

I think lots and lots of 'ideas' would have been thoroughly tested out by the boffins in the automotive industry (a spring loaded bung will no doubt be amongst some of the patent applications)

DirtyDT has got it right-bungs provide most protection in a low/no speed drop-they wont save a bike getting damaged at speed as they have a minute foot-print compared to the size of the bike, I'm not suggesting your idea wouldn't sell, on the contrary-the market for aftermarket bits/bobs/spanglies and bling is huge :blink:

best of luck with your venture :)