'78 Suzuki TS250C project

DirtyDT
This post is 3455 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi OG - A very luck find, I think. It looks a lot better in real life too.

Aye Blackhat - Lots of bits to bolt on now and I am hoping Santa will bring a few more (Bike parts were all I had on my Crimbo list

http://www.numan.biz/video/wetride.flv

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi dirtydt,

stumbled across this site/this thread while gooooglin' ts parts. Not done a lot of this chat room stuff so I hope I'm doing it ok?

I too am resurrecting a TS250 (1979 T). The swingarm would "swing" but the bolt/bushes were solid, I had to chisel through the steel cups and get a hack saw blade between frame and arm on both sides to cut the bolt. I replaced all components, steel caps are the same as GT750 and a guy was/is selling them on eekbay. The front fork caps are the same as yours, 1/2 socket, one undid easy (ish!!) in the yolks, the other ended up in the vice (with old shoe leather), a propane torch and a washing up bottle of water. Came undone so easy I nearly threw myself out the shed!

I watched a few of the chrome front mudguards go for a tidy sum on eekbay and was close to going for the yellow one you have, but decided to go for a genuine raised white plastic mudguard, a better look I feel.

Used parts? Check out power sports nation (usa) they list on eekbay usa but also have an online shop. Just got a very good seat from them for a song.

My current (no pun) problem is a front and rear wiring harness/loom, the present one is I think non standard, blue and black wires and crimped blue bullet connectors? And clocks, seen the £200 NOS(!) on eekbay and contacted a guy who bought a set and he seemed well chuffed, but £200!

Bike was bought with no docs, £25 and few weeks wait for the dvla and I've got a nice new V5C (I did have an old tax disc).

Colour was red but will be yellow with white "fenders".

Hope I haven't broken any forum rules or bored you with my ramble.

Hi Bikebasher, Apart from a courteous "hello" in the newbies section, I can't see why your post should offend anyone.

I did the same as you in cutting the swingarm bolt and brought new replacement parts. The parts can be a fortune but, as you say, some parts can be changed with other models which share these parts for a fraction of the TS250 price. I don't understand it either!

I still haven't gone back to the original set of forks yet to look at the end cap. It will get the heat treatment but I have another set of forks where the bolts are now all loose.

The chrome low mudguard was semi standard on my bike and I got this as it will only be worth more money in the future if I don't use it. I will end up with a pattern high level front guard as they are cheap money.

I have looked at power sports nation and they say they don't normally ship to the UK. I sent them an email about the seat you brought and an exhaust they had, but they never bothered to reply so I won't use them anyway. The seat would have been as a spare and I brought a NOS exhaust in the end.

I have a NOS loom (part 1) and have just brought a NOS loom (Part 2) which hopefully will be in the post soon.

I also have a NOS speedo and Tacho. I got the tacho last week. I didn't pay anywhere near the £200 they want for that set on evilbay. The difference is if the clocks come with all rubber parts and under clock caps. The clocks I brought came with the sub harnesses so pleased with both of them. I think the Tachos are still available from Robinsons Foundry.

Mine will be eventually be yellow but all is dependant on time.

When I buy small NOS parts (and that is often) I tend to use www.powersportsplus.com. They have some very good prices, even if you get stung for the import duty and VAT. I have an order of bits from them somewhere mid Atlantic as I type.

I have a lot of spares including a complete engine and a few barrels. I have even managed to get hold of a NOS swingarm. Sometimes you just have to buy bits you don't need, just in case.

I just need to put what I have back together.

• 1 month later...

No news on the TS front. I have so much work on that it is still just sitting stripped. I keep toying with the idea of seeing if the second engine will run

Long time till Squires Newme"y , What line of work you in "? iv been busy too, just out in shed every night now, trying to rebuild all the bikes, just a little wiring on the DT175,

And refit the wheels on H2,[ new spokes] The Zed 900, :shakeno: , its major heart surgury, ...

Long time till Squires Newme"y , What line of work you in "? iv been busy too, just out in shed every night now, trying to rebuild all the bikes, just a little wiring on the DT175,

And refit the wheels on H2,[ new spokes] The Zed 900, :shakeno: , its major heart surgury, ...

Too long mate. At least I am off to Wales for a week at the end of March (early family holiday) and am waiting for a new car which we ordered early Feb and they are saying mid May delivery.

According to my job title, I do Programme Management .

Bike wise, I need to strip and paint and it is too cold to do that at the moment. Are you re-spoking yourself? I considered it but think I will leave it to the experts.

the spoking bits OK if you have YouTube (oh you don't use it now!) its the tensioning bit that I'm not quite sure on!

• 2 months later...

Hi Mate,

Yep, I still have the Suzi and and still planning on getting it back on the road.

I haven't done a lot with the bike and have been concentrating on getting parts to be honest. I now have permission from my lovely better half to put a bike only shed up on what is now the patio so that is STILL the next big purchase.

Parts wise, I am still looking but I am running out of space. The shed is full and so is half of the dining room!! I have decided to rattle can the bike this time round. I brought a few tins of Hammerite smooth. I also picked up a couple of tins of Plasti-Kote BBQ for the NOS exhaust when I got dragged into Wilkos a few weeks ago. I have scotchbrite, wet and dry in abundance. What with the tack cloths and other bits I am hoping that the finish will be acceptable and failing this I will go for a powdercoat next time.

I have stocked up on stainless bolts, nuts and washers of the Hex variety. Got a set of stainless x head stainless crankcase bolts from Mrmegaman.

Major parts wise, the packages still keep on coming from around the world. I can't list all the new bits since I last posted on this thread but just picking a few bits out:

I had brought a set of engine bearings and seals a while ago. Some quality patten and some OEM. Although the crank bearing set was advertised specifically for the TS, one of the bearings was not right. The original left hand bearing has an oil slinger on it. This throws 2 stroke oil onto a plate which feeds the oil into the bottom bearing to lube it. A new OEM bearing popped up on evilbay so I added that.

aaa1.jpg

All of the wiring was knackered so I have brought the 2 NOS parts a while ago. Unfortunately this also meant that the lefthand switch gear was no use either. There are a lot of patten TS250 lefthand switches advertised on evilbay but these do not have the correct connectors. The original TS one has 2 connector blocks. All of the ones that are original are stupid money but one came up on German evilbay for a lot of money but not the £100 that some people are asking. I got one of those.

aaa2.jpg

I do have a rear mudguard for the bike but this is quite crusty. No damage though!. I brought a white replacement patten part privately for the bike but it turned out that it was for the TS185 and although they look the same, they are not. The mounting holes are in different places. A NOS red "fender" came up on USA evilbay a few weeks ago so I brought that. It arrived this week.

aaa3.jpg

So the project is still moving forward. Shed and sun are required so I can get the spraying started and then the rebuild can start in earnest.

At some stage the wheels will go off for new rims and spokes and the the forks will go off to be hard chromed - Thanks for the member here who PM'ed me a while ago with feedback of the company they used. I have my eye on a few bits at the moment and there are still a few bits I am desperate for and these may stop the project. I have sunk about £1500 into the project so far with possibly the same amount to go what with the wheels, tyres, forks etc but this was never going to be about the money or return. This model is quite rare and there are a lot less of them than the older banana exhaust type.

So all that said it is still a lot of work in progress and I am still looking to ride some sort of 2 stroke to Squires this year even if it is not the TS.

Newman , am the same i have parts every where, cant even remember what i"v bought, :ph34r:

Newman , am the same i have parts every where, cant even remember what i"v bought, :ph34r:

Great isn't it :lol:

I know the big stuff, just the small stuff like.....did I order the 6 washers for the shocks or the fiber washers for the two 2 stoke banjos???

I know that I brought a NOS Barrel from German evilbay last night. Under £100 including delivery.

Great isn't it :lol:

I know that I brought a NOS Barrel from German evilbay last night. Under £100 including delivery.

thats a bargain, :thumb: i "v got N.o.s DT 175 , Barrel && piston too.. keeping them for the future,,,

thats a bargain, :thumb: i "v got N.o.s DT 175 , Barrel && piston too.. keeping them for the future,,,

You will now be inundated with PM's asking if you want to sell it John.

I am hoping the barrel will not need a bore or hone but I will have to see. Thinking of a Wiseco piston. Not sure because they are a lot of cash.

You will now be inundated with PM's asking if you want to sell it John.

I am hoping the barrel will not need a bore or hone but I will have to see. Thinking of a Wiseco piston. Not sure because they are a lot of cash.

i've heard of people stating differeng bore clearance tolerances for wiseco mate, do some research before you lash out on one...that would be enough to put me off.

mervin may be familiar with what I'm saying here

Cheers Paul. I do understand that they come up "tighter".

I was looking for a quality piston kit. Wemoto do them and I am not sure what condition an OEM one would be in TBH. Any advice on piston and rings manufacturers?

I hear Woosner maks good pistons,,, Wiseco have had problems [ batches] with ring locating pin"s falling out,, :eusa_eh: