'78 Suzuki TS250C project

DirtyDT
This post is 3551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Not sure if this is the reply to the thread or the PM a few days ago John. Glad the smaller MJ worked. The PM had details of the 2 settings I have due to different market CDI's (not sure if yours is the same?). That is about all you can tinker with timing wise. Did you keep the pilot as large as it was?

• 3 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well the TS failed it's MOT. I haven't got the list to hand but it went something like this:

1) Handlebar grip loose

2) Right hand front indicator not working

3) Rear brake drum is oval

4) Battery not charged enough to use light effectivly

The rear wheel is off and being skimmed.

A new new battery, indicator and rectifier have been ordered.

I have handlebar glue.

Number 4 has always been a pain. It overcharges and eats batteries quicker than I can eat kebabs! I have a plan though...............................

Well least it wasn't TOO bad, nice and cheap to get sorted tho?

Hairspray works fine but I had some glue hanging about.

So as the bike stands now;

Bar glued and drying.

Rear rim skimmed and refitted.

Waiting for the rest of the parts.

They are normally fair with MOT's and happy to talk to you about things. I guess that because that it was a few small things that they decided to put the lot down in the fail. The TS passed last year with the grip the same - although it was a bit annoying when riding. They always comment on the look of the bike (positive in case anyone asks)

The guy who skimmed the wheel was recommended at the shop. He works from home and does wheel restores, rebores etc as well. £35 for a skim of 20 thou. Still a lot left in case I need another according to him. Apparently there was a rust pit on it. I am guessing from where the bike had stood before I brought it. Lesson learned though because if it was out of tolerance I would have had a wheel with stainless spokes and rim with a new tyre that I couldn't use without reusing the parts on a different hub!!

Assuming that the bits come in time and I can get it re-tested before Squires, and that I am coming as I am still not sure if I can make it, I will prefer the TS to go on.

I have a MJ coming too after some communication with John and what he used on his TS. Still a little boggy at the top end and I am going down to a 180 MJ. It hits 70 + without going into the red but it is better suited to sit at about 55 to be honest.

Kev will be skimming rims i hear at the big meet, :yeah: fomeh" look out,,,,, :pregsmile:

Am planning to return to UK from south of france [ andorra trip] that weekend , so if all works out Shud put in a visit,,, :doggy:

I hope Kev doesn't bring his banjo music again!

It would be great to meet up again John. Lets hope we can both get there.

Quick update.

Hairspray works fine but I had some glue hanging about.

So as the bike stands now;

Bar glued and drying.

Rear rim skimmed and refitted.

Waiting for the rest of the parts.

As previously mentioned, the rear wheel skimmed and refitted and the bar grip glued.

I have fitted a new rectifier and rewired the regulator to the right place (sorry Paul). The standard battery hasn't arrived so I have fitted a sealed, non bike, on. The last thing was the indicator. In my rush I ordered one for the earlier TS which is all chrome instead of the black and chrome ones fitted to my model. I put it on anyway and it works so it will do for now.

MOT retest booked for tomorrow.

The 180 MJ came but I looked at the plug after a WOT run and I like it's colour so I haven't changed it - yet. I will see how it runs tomorrow to the MOT station.

Good thing the drum did clean up that would have been a real bummer if you had to rebuild the wheel again, little leson learned for all who are rebuilding wheels have the drum checked before building.

35 to get it done is cheap most machine shops here would charge you that just for set up then charge you for lathe hours min 1 hr even though it wouldn't take more than 15-20 min .so could easly run into150

Thanks guys.

John -Sorely tempted to throw in the 180MJ now.

DT - A big lesson learned. I didn't realise that they used a rolling road for the bike brakes. They used to just sit on them and, with the brake applied, try and push them. £35 is about 57 CAD.

Then even cheaper most charge 75 just for set up.

wtf do then need a rolling road for and just cause the drum is silghtly oval( only took .020 to make it round) dosen't stop the bike from stoping safely unless your jamming the brake full on and then your in a panic stop,wee bit of anything on the road and it will lock up anyway, me thinks the tester is just a bit picky been caught for letting something go that was unsafe and had a talk from the upper's.

We have a bit different rule's and there is a acceptable amount of run out and free play when testing parts .020 would be acceptable as long as the drum was under the max alowable size. but o well it's better now anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments DT.

The bike passed last year and the grip was the same. I have only ridden 450 miles on the bike since the MOT last year - there are a couple of reasons for that, that I will come back to - and I can't see the drum being that misshapen in so few miles (same testing station) so I guess that it was like that last year too.

Before I took it for the MOT I dropped in a 180 MJ. The bike was very different at the top end and seemed to just run out of "go" at about 65MPH. Not holding back, just like it has reached the maximum speed for the amount of fuel it could suck. Yesterday with the old MJ in (210 by the way), it went well past 70 MPH without going anywhere near the beginning of the red line. Took the plug out after 25 miles and with the 180 MJ in, the colour is a fair bit darker but I was happy with the plug colour with the 210 MJ in it anyway. I have now decided to compromise and have put a 200 MJ in it. I haven't ridden it yet with the new jet in.

Anyway, the bike now has a MOT for the next 12 Months.

The reasons that it has been ridden so little is for two reasons:

1) the electrics have always been "dodgy", overcharging and killing the battery so I ended up with no brake lights, horn or indicators part way through a ride. Hopefully the new routed wiring and sealed battery will fix this and after the ride today, and with the engine off, the battery was showing 6.17V and all of the electrics worked fine.

2) I don't have a side entrance or garage so the bikes, apart from the SV, are kept in the rear garden. If I want to ride one I have to push the bike through the part of the house that used to be the side passage but is now the dining and utility area extension. It is a straight run front to back but I have to negotiate 2 UPVC doors. I am expecting that to change soon as we are looking for a possible new home next year so access/garage/space for a huge workshop is high on the list of must haves (well high on my list), I think my better half has large kitchen-diner/bedroom sizes/original features and other stuff on her must have list. That last bit is not quite true, we know what we like and she is more than happy for some big workshop space and garage when we move.