'78 Suzuki TS250C project

DirtyDT
This post is 3552 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Quick update.

The electrics are doing my head in and I normally find them easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today

15 progress.JPG

Looks like a done bike to me pop on the fender and wala time to ride ...so off you go "get er done" no time to be monkeying around here

Looks like a done bike to me pop on the fender and wala time to ride ...so off you go "get er done" no time to be monkeying around here

I have abandoned the original UK chrome fender for the time being and brought a US style one. It arrived the early part of the week but was orange. This has been sprayed red. Just waiting for the fittings from the US which were posted the middle of last week. Need the horn fitting. Waiting for that to arrive but I have a rough looking spare one, just in case.

The last bit of spraying has oranged peeled on me so I will rub that down tomorrow and get it sprayed.

The electrics have been a nightmare but I think I finally have a solution (I have thought that before though). I need to run the pilot and tail lights from the battery but they are running from the stator so when the pilot light only is on they are very bright. Should be able to sort it. I hope.

The number plate is waiting to go on but that is the very last job.

Looking great mate, MOT?

Not yet mate. I managed to get an insurance quote from Carol Nash. £143. That is £40 more than the SV!!!

Once I get the last few bits I will book it in. If it passes and it rides ok then off to Squires on it.

I have ridden it around the garden today.

My lovely other half said; "it sounds rattly and is it supossed to smoke"

Well done Dirty" bloody good job for a rush job. :thumb: how far to Squires for you, will you run up with jason >?

And " you"l be surounded by DT"s on saturday ride-out,, :hah:

Not yet mate. I managed to get an insurance quote from Carol Nash. £143. That is £40 more than the SV!!!

Once I get the last few bits I will book it in. If it passes and it rides ok then off to Squires on it.

Carol Nash would only give me a quote for third party when I enquired. I didn't bother to wait for the price!

Impressed that you've managed to get parts from the USA delivered so quickly. I'm into day 13 waiting for my air filter and the bank holiday weather for here looks pretty s**te :angry: , thereby diminishing any chance of a ride even if the filter arrives!

Well done Dirty" bloody good job for a rush job. :thumb: how far to Squires for you, will you run up with jason >?

And " you"l be surounded by DT"s on saturday ride-out,, :hah:

Hi Blackhat. It isn't too bad.

88 non motorway miles. I haven't heard from Jason for a while. Not sure about being "surrounded" but at least you can all marvel at my number plate :D . We just need to make sure that everyone has at least a little petrol before the Saturday run.

Carol Nash would only give me a quote for third party when I enquired. I didn't bother to wait for the price!

Impressed that you've managed to get parts from the USA delivered so quickly. I'm into day 13 waiting for my air filter and the bank holiday weather for here looks pretty s**te :angry: , thereby diminishing any chance of a ride even if the filter arrives!

It is hit and miss. I think that the USPS recently changed the international posting levels so you can't get a cheap price now, but things do get delivered quicker.

Coming to an end now...................................................until the rebuild.

Still waiting for some parts but all together. I have rushed some bits but these can be tidied up.

Insured - Phoned Carole Nash this morning and the quote of £143 became £113. On a classic policy, fully comp.

MOT - Booked for Tuesday morning. Hopefully it will pass. It hasn't had one since 1996.

Tax - waiting for the MOT but I will do this online assuming it passes the MOT

Some before and after photos.

b1.jpg

a1.JPG

b2.jpg

a2.JPG

b3.jpg

a3.JPG

It was very "Tango" Drewpy.

A nice shade of Red now. Actually the bits I painted are Halfords toolbox red.

What a transformation" :headbang: hope she sails thru, M.O.T. and see you next Friday,, :luck:

Hope the weather holds, nice up here this weekend, Am so lookn forward to meeting up again :beerchug:

Took the bike for it's MOT this morning before going to work.

Before testing it the tester said "we love the classics" which I took as a good sign. A while later he said "it is spot on". So the bike is now insured, MOT'ed and taxed. It is not all good news though. The 12 mile ride each way to the bike shop was also the first shakedown.

Issues:

On the way home the rear indicators became slightly loose. No biggie and I will sort them.

Also on the way home all of the lights run off the battery failed. This was due to the brake light switch wire melting to the exhaust and fusing the fuse. No biggie.

The clutch felt wrong somehow. This was due to me fitting the clutch arm the wrong way round so that it didn't tighten on the spline'ed part of the shaft and had clicked round the spline. Sorted this.

It rev's fine to 5k and then bogs down. This is in all gears. The plug is a toast brown. I can't remember what size main jet I put in it but the chances are that I will not be able to get a bigger one before Squires. I may raise the jet needle a notch or two to see if this helps.

Apart from that, it starts (if I remember to put the kill switch to "run") and stops fine.

Hi Paul.

Yes, yes - I think so and can't remember to be honest.

If you remember at Stafford I was on the hunt for a carb? The carb fitted is off an ER and I think that the main should be 200.

Great to hear the bike is more or less ready to go and you have a couple of days to sort it out.

personaly I would go with a needle adjust first and or1/2 turn on the piolt sounds like you have it realy close now... if by toast medium you mean ..if you mean like my ex made it black burnt and not fit for a dog LOL then lean it up JUST kidding

Did you try what I call a plug chop test.. run the bike at full throttle hiest rpm grab the clutch and kill the eng at the same time pull ove and look at the plug.. thats the best way to read a plug for wfo running. After a short low rpm ride the plug can lie to you looks great but only down low in the rpm range

Anyway sounds like your going to make squires have a great time guys